cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Why can't I keep my old number when migrating to digital

I migrated to digital today, everything was going fine until I received an email to tell me I had been given a new number. I wasn't told this when signing up for a digital line so contacted BT to be told my old number can't be transferred to the digital line. I have had the same number for over 30 years and don't understand why the number can't be transferred, it is not as if I have ever changed suppliers, BT has been my supplier for all this time.

I am sure this will become more of an issue as more people are migrated to the new digital service, and after reading other comments on this forum know it can be done and have found out in the past that speaking to the right person is a good start,

Who do I need to speak to? I don't want it to be dragged out as I don't want my old number to be reallocated. Please can someone who works for BT offer some help, Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Why can't I keep my old number when migrating to digital

@Gadgyt 

Did you ask to be migrated to digital voice, or did BT say you were moving and had no choice?

Normally if BT move you, then it would be your own number that would be migrated, however if you had requested it yourself, then its quite possible you would be given a new number, as it would not be possible to allocate the old number, while its still active on the old exchange equipment.

All you can do is to ask BT for a renumber back to your original number.

It would not be re-allocated to anyone else, it would just remain unavailable for many years, as they are unlikely to run out of numbers.

Message 3 of 6

Have you just move to FTTP?  If so have you tried phoning FTTP TEAM 08005874787

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 6

It is a bit of a long story, BT suggested I go on to digital and were supposed to have migrated me a couple of weeks ago. I chased it today to find out nothing had been done so had to request the migration be done this time.

My old number was a desirable one so would probably be snapped up.

I will find out about the renumber option, thanks

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@Gadgyt wrote:

My old number was a desirable one so would probably be snapped up.

It will not be re-allocated to anyone else, no matter what the number is. BT Retail do not do that.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I contacted BT, asked for a renumber and was told that they couldn't do anything until my order was completed and that I would get a call back today, I got no call back, BT staff are so friendly and helpful (most of the time) it is a pity they don't often follow up on their promises. So I contacted BT again and have been told it has been passed to the relevant department and should be completed in 48 hours, fingers crossed. 

0 Ratings