cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Why does my landline cordless phone light up when there's no incoming call.

Go to solution

This has happened numerous times over the last few months; mostly it happens in the evenings and lasts between two and 10 minutes. The phone is sitting on its shelf, properly seated in its base. The display lights up but doesn't show as if there is an incoming call, neither does it show as if the handset is charging.  Normally when I press the button to key in the number to be called, the landline dial tone sounds immediately. If I do this when the display is lit up like this, there is a three to four second delay until I get the dial tone.

I'm baffled. If it's 'just one of those things' that other people experience from time to time, that's o.k. If other people don't experience this, I need to speak to BT.

TIA for responses.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Why does my landline cordless phone light up when there's no incoming call.

Go to solution

My BT branded cordless phone screen in the bedroom was illuminating randomly, this was  noticeable at night when the room was in darkness, on investigation the display was reading ‘searching’, this was the secondary unit phone  , the main unit downstairs had been knocked over and presumably was making the upstairs phone borderline out of range , when the main unit was restored to its normal position, the remote handset stopped lighting up randomly.

Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thank you! Seems like I have to blame my two cats playing in another room where there's another handset. I just put the phone back on the base when I see it. I'll move the phone out of the cats' reach but they're acrobatic young cats with some amazing moves. 🙂

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

This has become worrying. I've disconnected the two 'extension' bases and left them so the handset batteries must have run down by now. The main base is disconnected from power and phone socket but the batteries still have enough charge to illuminate the backlighting and screen. Rght now the only phone service active here is my mobile.

The main handset flashes regularly even when across the room from its base. Timed with the stopwatch on my mobile, it flashes at approximately 3-1/2 minute intervals. Sometimes it's only the screen that lights up, at other times the keypad backlighting lights up as well, making a brief light level that I notice even when I've turned away from it. I was up (and awake!) most of last night and observed it for nearly five hours.

Can anyone suuggest what might be causing this, please? Any possibilities that might be thought to be 'off the wall' would be welcome if there's a technical grounding for it. I'm not ruling anything out.

Thank you for your help.

Figural

0 Ratings