cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CSullivan
Beginner
Message 11 of 25

Re: Wiring needed to allow broadband

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I set about the boxes upstairs earlier with a view to removing them (as there were even more, photo attached)

All I want in the house is the fastest possible broadband throughout, I don’t use the phone lines. Any suggestions for achieving that?

BA683935-141A-425A-904B-2915442BB879.jpeg

Upstairs boxes (all removed with exception of ‘Digital access’)

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 25

Christ, that’s an old Home Highway System. It was like a version of ISDN for Residential use.

They binned the service off years ago when ADSL came out.  

CSullivan
Beginner
Message 13 of 25

can anyone advise best next step?

I don’t want the upstairs socket, just quick broadband.

thanks 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 25

If you just need broadband at one socket, all you need is 2 wires from the junction box to a master socket at your chosen location. Either utilise existing cable and master socket or just run a new cable (CW1308) to a new master socket. Connect terminals A & B in the junction box to the incoming terminals of the master.

0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 25

@CSullivan 

Apologies for "borrowing" your picture, what is the socket with the black arrow beneth it connected to?

BT Highway.jpeg

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
CSullivan
Beginner
Message 16 of 25

It was previously wired via a splitter? to the digital access box next to it 

I however tested all boxes and none seemed to work (I also didn’t want a socket upstairs) so disconnected it

wiring split the extension wiring into both digital access and openreach box

thanks

0 Ratings
CSullivan
Beginner
Message 17 of 25

I already have broadband in one socket downstairs, it appears the downstairs socket in an extension?

Downstairs socket runs straight from the junction box where external cable enters the house.

In short, I have a working internet connection and phone line.

I want to understand the following;

1. Is the upstairs socket (which may be the master) able to be connected up so that it’s also a working socket for an internet router? Would mean better wifi signal throughout the house or wired broadband in that room

2. if the socket isn’t workable and my broadband speed isn’t impacted by removing it, can I remove it?

if there are any ex-engineers who do private work I’d be interested. Based in south london

Thanks 

0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 25

@CSullivanwrote:

It was previously wired via a splitter? to the digital access box next to it 

I however tested all boxes and none seemed to work (I also didn’t want a socket upstairs) so disconnected it

wiring split the extension wiring into both digital access and openreach box

thanks

@CSullivan 

The one with the Arrow beneth is also a master socket (a more modern one). 

If it's not in current use, you could remove it from the wall and connect it (as described by @licquorice ) to the working incoming line. 

I will also send you a private message. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 25

@CSullivanwrote:

I already have broadband in one socket downstairs, it appears the downstairs socket in an extension?

Downstairs socket runs straight from the junction box where external cable enters the house.

In short, I have a working internet connection and phone line.

I want to understand the following;

1. Is the upstairs socket (which may be the master) able to be connected up so that it’s also a working socket for an internet router? Would mean better wifi signal throughout the house or wired broadband in that room

2. if the socket isn’t workable and my broadband speed isn’t impacted by removing it, can I remove it?

if there are any ex-engineers who do private work I’d be interested. Based in south london

Thanks 

Let's go back a bit.  Your 1st post included several pictures, the "socket box" is Master Socket (as it has a removable front plate).  

The junction box has 3 cables, one external (grey) 2 internal (white).

1 internal cable goes the the "socket" and the other upstairs?

Am I right? 

(PS for now ignore my other reply.)

Kind Regards
CJT80
0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 20 of 25

If both existing cables are reconnected in the block where the line comes in from outside , then although both sockets will work , it will be detrimental to the broadband speed ( probably why one cable was disconnected in the first place ) if you only need one socket , connect the wiring to that one and disconnect /remove the other...if you want two sockets, the wiring to the ‘extension’ needs to be run from the master socket consumer panel, not the way the current wiring exists...if the socket you want to use is an extension socket and not the master socket , strictly speaking OR should rearrange them, but it’s not rocket science.
0 Ratings