Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C-Ya44
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Wrong address on database - Openreach?

Hello

I'm about to move to a new address.  The house is a new build.  The new address is registered with Royal Mail and comes up in their address finder online.  The house has a phone line installed already and the line is working.  The phone service is currently provided by BT.  So far so good!

The thing I need help with is that the address associated with the phone line is different to the property address.  The account was initially set up at the different address because the line was installed before the house build was finished and before the new address was registered with Royal Mail.  

The BT account for the line at the new house is currently held by the people who built the house (not me).  They've contacted BT for help but have been given confusing advice and no clear way to solve this.  The effect on me is that I can't take on the line (or get fibre broadband) ready for when I move in because the database is showing no phone line at the new address.  I'm guessing this may be Openreach rather than BT Retail, but not sure about that.

Can anyone advise or help with the process to get the address associated with the line changed to the correct (new) address please?  

Many thanks.

Tim

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Wrong address on database - Openreach?

Once you move in, then whichever Service Provider you use, will be able to ask Openreach to correct the database.

If you are placing an order with BT Retail, then one of the moderators here will be able to help, but they cannot help with other providers.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 3 of 7

@C-Ya44 welcome to the community and thanks for posting. This is not a request that we would be able to take from you as you are not currently the account holder. The account holder of the line will need to contact BT and ask for an ORDI (openreach data integrity) request to be made to Openreach to get the address database updated.

0 Ratings
C-Ya44
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Hi @NeilO

Thanks for your reply.  That makes sense.  I'll ask the current account holder to do as you suggest.

Presumably if they still find they're not making progress they could post here to ask for help, as the account holder?

Tim

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 5 of 7

@C-Ya44 No problem at all, if it's a BT residential service then yes by all means point them in our direction and we can get that sorted. 

0 Ratings
C-Ya44
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Hi @Keith_Beddoe

Thanks for your reply.  I'm hoping that by the current account holder requesting this change now, the time taken to get it resolved (and then for me to get my connection up and running) will be shorter than if I wait until I move in. 

Fingers crossed!

Tim

0 Ratings
C-Ya44
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Thanks @NeilO.  I believe it is BT residential so I'll pass on the information and ask them to get in touch 🙂

0 Ratings