cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gp349
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

badly wired socket slowing down broadband?

Hi,

I've always had terribly slow broadband (1.8mbps), on the advice of someone on this forum, I now have 3.1mbps simply by removing the orange wire that was connected to the third terminal!

I'm only interested in having this one socket connected, the extension isn't used, could anyone advise me if the 4wires that are left (two wires to 5, two to 2) look ok, or if there are any further improvements that i could try.

Thanks so much,

Mark

line1.jpgline2.jpg

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: badly wired socket slowing down broadband?

If you don't want to use extension then if you can identify the extension wires on 2&5 then you can remove them and just leave the incoming openreach wiring to 2&5 then no problems with internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gp349
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I'm not certain how to identify those, any tips to try and figure them out?
Thanks so much
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

can you not see the incoming openreach wiring coming from outside as that is wires you want to leave and other pair are your extension wiring  you still have the bellwire conencted to terminal 3 which you can disconnect

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
iniltous
Guru
Message 5 of 6

If you check the extension socket and make a note of the colour of the wires in extensions terminals 2 and 5 , then at the master simply remove the same two wires from 2 and 5 of the master, you may need an IDC tool to reconnect the other remaining 2 wires should they become detached
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

It is almost certainly the orange and white wires that are the incoming service.