Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gc10
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

broadband transferred

Go to solution

I need help, I have been a long standing customer of another broadband provider, recently I received a random text saying my broadband was being transferred, I ignored it as thought it was a scam, turns out it was real and my broadband was cut off and on speaking to my provider my line  was returned to BT Retail, I phoned BT but they have no record of me, my address or phone number, I had nowhere else to go so instructed my provider to transfer me back, 3 days before the date this was refused as whoever requested the transfer has refused, my phone line is still live but I am stuck in no mans land, I have heard of slamming and also the possibility of it being a mistake with wrong address etc, who can I contact to get my line back, any help would be much appreciated 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: broadband transferred

Go to solution

If your line has been slammed it is up to your provider to resolve your problem.

See link

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/how-to-avoid-bei...

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Someone has ordered service, and given the wrong address details. As @gg30340  has said, only your own provider can sort this out, and stop the takeover.

It may be too late now, as you would probably have received the 10 days notice of takeover, that should have given you time to query it with your current provider, and stop the takeover.

As it is now, its likely to take a while to get service restored.

This BT Retail forum cannot help with this.

0 Ratings
gc10
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

thank you for your help on this but we are further down the road than this, I was already cut off on 16th Oct, I instructed my provider to reclaim it on the 17th so basically signing up for a new contract  and my reconnection was set for the 30th, that didn't happen because on the 27th it was cancelled because whoever has requested this refused the transfer, my provider say they can't take it if it has been refused and can only tell me it is with BT Retail, I don't know who to contact 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Are you in a flat or apartment, then its possible someone may have given the wrong flat number?

As I have said, there is nothing this forum can do. Whoever was expecting service at the address they thought they had asked for, is going to be disappointed, and will eventually realise their mistake.

Meanwhile I cannot see what else you can do, apart from ask your provider to place an order for a new line at your current address.

0 Ratings
gc10
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I am in a flat but we all have separate street numbers not shared that can be mistaken 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@gc10 wrote:

I am in a flat but we all have separate street numbers not shared that can be mistaken 

When they placed the order and entered their postcode, it would have given them a number of street names and numbers, so it quite possible they selected the wrong details, and did not bother to check.

Because of Data Protection Laws, BT would not be able to tell you who placed the order. You will just have to wait until it becomes live, and then they will realise their mistake. They may even turn up at your door.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

BT have a priority back in service process, it basically involves the other provider being asked to release the line, which means the 14 day takeover process isn't required, restoring the service in 1-2 days, ask your provider if they have a similar process.

As already mentioned, BT retail can't help, your chosen provider have to do all the running around for you, some smaller ISP's don't have extra processes for when things go wrong.

0 Ratings
gc10
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

ok thank you, the phone line is still live so that is the confusing thing, I would have expected it to go dead if it is being transferred to someone else 

0 Ratings