cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

constant dialing tone

My line is apparently now digital.  When you dial out you hear the beeps for the numbers keyed in but the dial tone stays constant & never connects.  Happens whether you dial the area code or not even if it's a local call.  BT automated fault says it's a fault on the line & has been reported to Openreach but for 4 days I have heard nothing & still cant dial out.  No human being was involved in the reporting process - it would appear that BT don't employ real people any more. All automated messaging followed by "Goodbye".  Extremely unhelpful.  

Apparently 01794 exchange is now digital. My handset is new, we have b/band which works tolerably but not amazing. Anyone any ideas?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: constant dialing tone

Is the phone now plugged into the SH2 rather than the old phone socket?

If yes, check in the SH2 web interface that the phone line is active rather than Not Configured.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

sorry mate I have no idea what you are talking about!  We dont have digital voice or an IP phone.  Everything is exactly as it always used to be, phone plugged into the little white filter box which is plugged into the wall.  BT didnt tell us anything had changed!

What is a SH2?  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Confused.

So what does "My line is apparently now digital." mean?

SH2 is the Smart Hub 2 router required for Digital Voice.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Your local exchange has been ‘digital’ for 35+ years , the digital exchange program was mainly completed during the 1980’s , so when you stated your line is ‘apparently now digital’  the assumption was that you must have meant you were on Digital Voice , but if your phone isn’t connected to your router then it isn’t DV.

If you still are on PSTN ( as seems likely ) and the dialtone continues after you have dialled the number ( you can ‘hear’ your handset making ‘tones’ ( DTMF ) as  you enter the phone number )  , it’s an exchange fault , ( not that uncommon ) , the DTMF receiver in the line card not responding to the tones sent , if coincidentally you were advised that you were being converting to DV , it would actually solve the issue but as presumably you are not yet being migrated, you need to report it ….FWIW , a line test will not pick up this type of fault as the ‘line’ ( the copper pair ) is not the problem it’s the exchange equipment your line is connected to , it’s actually not Openreach that look after exchanges , chances are your physical ‘line’ will be moved to a different exchange line card that’s working OK , the Openreach engineer will rejumper your line on the exchange MDF , but obviously to get that arranged BT need to submit a fault report . 

0 Ratings