cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

landline cable will not fit into socket

hi i am moving to bt for landline only however my landline cable does not fit into the bt socket

i called the engineer and he said i need an adapter for it?

i have a adsl filter that fits into the bt socket and has a adsl model and phone connections, the landline only fits into the adsl modem connection though, does anyone know if the phone will still work from that or do i need a proper adapter?

engineer said my phone won't work at the moment because some underground works needs to be done but he told me leave it connected to the socket and i will get a call when its all up and running so i can't test if the adsl modem connection on the adsl filter will work for the phone that's why i am asking

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: landline cable will not fit into socket

It will work with the filter, but you might want to investigate changing the cord on your phone to one with the correct plug rather than an RJ 11 plug.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Rather than replacing the whole cord - which would mean dismantling the telephone, (?), adapters can be bought online for a couple of pounds. This looks like what you need, I think?

Paul608085_0-1614347923032.jpeg

Search for" RJ11 431A adapter" - RJ11 being the plug on the end of you existing cable and 431A is the designation of the BT / UK telephone plug.

I would post you a link, but I don't think that these forums allow  links to online marketplaces?

Message 4 of 8

No need to dismantle phone, the cord usually just plugs into the phone with an RJ11 socket. So instead of an RJ11-RJ11 lead, an RJ11 - 431A lead is required. It just one less connection to go wrong, hence not recommending using filter as adaptor.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

OK, understood.

My, (only), wired 'phone is hardwired - so I assumed that all or most were the same - obviously not!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

I guess it depends on the phone manufacturer, all the landline phones I've ever had have always had plug in cords (well apart from the ones from the GPO days that is 😀 )

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@licquorice wrote:

apart from the ones from the GPO days

The ones with a magneto handle on the side?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 8 of 8

@pottyperson wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

apart from the ones from the GPO days

The ones with a magneto handle on the side?

Yep, those ones!! 😁 😁

0 Ratings