cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

phone line has no dial tone

went to use my phone yesterday and found i had no dialing tone,so removed the front plate off the openreach 5c mk 4 socket and plugged in the phone to the test socket and it works fine, so i suspected the extension line so i removed the extension cables from the openreach socket and re fitted the front and i still did not have a dialing tone so i unplugged the cable to the modem and still no dialing tone , so proving the extesion cable is not at fault, do the fronts of the openreach boxes fail, i have plugged an old filter in and broadband and phone work fine  before i contact BT I was wondering if this is a known fault with these boxes.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: phone line has no dial tone

The 5c can be a bit iffy with not making good contact. Make sure the front plate is firmly clipped in place. I would unplug the hub completely whilst attempting to get the faceplate to make a good connection and restore dial tone or DLM might take action with the multiple disconnects.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

can the connection just drop after 12months of not  being touched

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Faults have to happen some time

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

A basic master socket consumer panel ,is pretty much just a male/female plug and socket so any defect is likely to be a ‘contact’ issue between the plug and socket contacts , ‘interstitial’ faceplates that effectively remove the need for a separate ADSL filter , have electronic components that can and do fail.
Message 7 of 7

@markythesparky wrote:

can the connection just drop after 12months of not  being touched

Most likely a high resistance connection caused by oxidisation of the connecting surfaces. You could try a spray contact cleaner  like Servisol Super 10, its usually very effective. Its also good for removing sticky residues.

0 Ratings