Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daviiido1
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

scam phone call from BT

Go to solution

Just come off the phone from an asian possibly Indian man who announced that he was from BT and that they are aware that there are unauthorised users on my internet account. They had managed to repair 80% of the problem but required my help to finish the job. I told them i was unaware of any problems and that if they were i wouldn't be getting a cold call from BT. They had me go into Windows and check my user name. I stopped at the point that they wanted me to type in ANYDESK.COM. As i was about to put the phone down they said that they would suspend my internet account. 

Scam, right?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: scam phone call from BT

Go to solution

If that's all you did, just ignore it. It's a scam.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Lindiloo
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Just happened to me today from Indian lady, 01356483097 can easily see how some people get caught though..wanted me to log into my computer Huh! Hung up..

0 Ratings
Scouser1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Just had a phone call SUPPOSEDLY from BT.  They were saying that they were going to cut off the internet for the day because of intermittent problems with our internet.  As soon as they started asking about mobile phone numbers,we put the phone down.  Woman who was on the phone had a strange accent - not Asian,sounded more like Chinese!  Number not retrievable on our phone,on 1471,so watch out BT users!  It makes you wonder HOW did they know we were BT  users,and how did they find out our telephone number?  My husband has only  recently fixed the wiring for the house phone so we could use it once more,which we don’t use much anyhow.  

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@Scouser1  they can check the number ranges to see which company owns and it and then they work on the assumption that you're still with BT. In reality they know very little, the best analogy for this is "shooting fish in a barrel" there is another one that revolves around throwing sticky brown stuff at a wall to see how much sticks

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

They don't know you're a BT customer they're just dialling numbers at random & saying BT as they've a big customer base. I'd have a look into call protect as well as it stops some calls getting through due to reports of scam numbers calling from customers

0 Ratings