cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

stopping the landline Recall functionality

Can the recall functionailty on a landline be ceased whilst allowing Privacy with CLI to work ?

My elderly Mum keeps pressing recall when she answers a call trying to put handsfree on so 'cuts the call off' from her point of view. v frustrating !!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: stopping the landline Recall functionality

@natfrac 

That is a feature of the phone which introduces a short disconnect on the line, and will result in the original call being held, and dial tone received. Pressing the recall button again, will restore the original call.

Not all phones have this feature, so which phone is she using?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi Keith,

She has the BT4600 (big button premium call blocker).
Her old phones were almost identical big button style but had lower spec of call blocker on it. (Phonebook button was above the red button, and 'handsfree' was a separate button above the green button - now handsfree function is press green again, R button moved to above red button).
Elderly Mum was pressing Green, and then recall in attempt to do handsfree, and getting a bit confused.

I'm exploring options, so thought switching off select services/call features might disable the recall functionality at the exchange (as I thought it's probably part of the line signalling protocol), thereby stopping her getting lost / confused and thinking she'd cut the call off. She only has BT Protect, BT Privacy, BT Privacy with CLI shown on her account on line.
(I'm retired from BT but was never on engineering side).

User training might help eventually, but takes time with the elderly.

I have just managed to speak to her as she did press green twice, after about 15 attempts last night and this morning.

Thanks for your advice and help!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe
Replied, but didn't add @ tag in, hence this so you get notified
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

I have the same phone, and what I would suggest, is something covering that "R" button, or a blob of glue from a glue gun along the edge, to stop the button going in. Even tape may work.

I have done this before on TV remote controls, where the wrong button was being pressed.

The glue can be peeled off quite easily in the future.

I was not aware of any facility to disable the recall feature on any of the exchanges, but I also retired from BT a while back now.

I will as a moderator to see if they can find out whether the feature can be disabled on the exchange.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hi @natfrac 

Thanks for posting, I can't make promises we can disable this but we will definitely look into it for you.

I've sent you a private message asking for some more details.

Stuart 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Keith,

I'll try a concerted education campaign before trying the glue !

Thanks very much for your help and advice & getting moderator in.
Best regards

Paul

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Earlier phones it was possible to change the recall type from timed break to earth recall. I suspect the new phones don't have this luxury. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings