cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

11ac Wifi Extender 1200 - too close no matter where I put it

What's the impact of the 'too close' indicator on my Wifi Extender 1200? No matter where I put it upstairs it says 'too close' and yet the wifi signal to an LG Smart TV in a bedroom is very flaky. Hoped this would sort it. Does it work at all if it says 'too close'? Is there a way to know if it's doing any good?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: 11ac Wifi Extender 1200 - too close no matter where I put it

I don't think the 'too close' indicator will have any impact, its just a means of optimising the location of a wifi repeater. I suspect it is probably just mis-indicating.

Wifi extenders are a very poor option for extending a signal in any case, powerline adaptors are a superior choice.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply.  I'll keep fingers crossed it does some good. I researched this before buying and there are certainly conflicting views as to their success.  I hope you're wrong - but thanks.

@licquoricewrote:

I don't think the 'too close' indicator will have any impact, its just a means of optimising the location of a wifi repeater. I suspect it is probably just mis-indicating.

Wifi extenders are a very poor option for extending a signal in any case, powerline adaptors are a superior choice.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Wifi extenders by definition will always be a compromise, they have to be located in a position to receive a good signal from the hub yet close enough to the destination device to be able to recieve a good signal.  Whereas powerline wifi hotspots can be located adjacent to where needed and also provide an Ethernet connection if required.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 5

@jefferdj the userguide suggests trying method 2, connecting without using the WPS button if this is happening.