Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
campdave
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

2.4 Ghz wireless dropping out on Home Hub 5

Go to solution

HI all,

would appreciate some advice on the Home Hub 5. Ours is about 3 years old. About two months ago, we had a small issue where the 2.4 GHz wireless just dropped out one afternoon, so several devices in the house couldn't connect via wifi. The SSID wasn't showing for devices that can only access 5ghz.

A quick reboot of the router solved the problem. 

Didn't think any more of it until last 10 days ago, when it did it again - rebooted and it came back up.

It has done the same thing overnight- this time I tried disabling then re-enabling the 2.4 ghz wifi - devices still couldn't connect. Then tried restting the wifi settings. The affected devices could see the wifi network, but not connect. A router reboot and everything connected successfully again.

I'd rather not be rebooting my router all the time, especially if this is about to be a regular issue. Wondered if this was an issue others had experienced before replacing the router or getting a separate device to broadcast the wifi?

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: 2.4 Ghz wireless dropping out on Home Hub 5

Go to solution

It could be wireless interference, have you tried all 13 wireless channels?

Its possible there is a hardware issue with the internal wireless radio modules, so you may have to either use an external wireless access point, or use a different router.

A different router would be the simplest and cheapest (£30) option.

campdave
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the advice. Will try changing channel this time, though I though rebooting the router wouldn't change the channel so interference would still be there if that was the cause on a reboot? However, I'm certainly no expert.

Since my original post,I did try to separate the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs, but the devices that lost connection couldn't see the 5Ghz connection - I suspect they only have 2.4Ghz as they are a tablet and phone from the cheaper end of the market.

If it happens again, I do think you're right that it could be a hardware issue - guess my option would be a factory reset and if that doesn't work go down the AP or router option.

When you mention £30, do you mean a new smart hub or another manufacturer's router (and if so, are there any recommendations?)

Thanks again for the quick reply, it's appreciated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

If you have smart wireless enabled, then on a reboot, the home hub would have scanned just three of the 13 wireless channels, for one with least interference.

With smart wireless off, you can manually select any of the 13 channels yourself, so you may find a better one.

If its a hardware issue, then an additional AP would probably be a waste of money if the home hub failed. It would also cost the same as a new third party router.

The router that I use, and is also recommended by other forum members, is the one on this link. Its only single band, but it gives good coverage. The 5G band only has very limited range anyway, and not all devices support it.

TP-Link TD-W9970 - replacement for home hub

0 Ratings
campdave
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks, that's really useful and makes sense now.

Thanks for the link - good to have the information to hand in case it's needed in the future. That router is in stock in the Argos a five minute walk from me, so that's really helpful.

One final question- my Homehub reboots itself every 14 days - assume this is on command from BT as it's always more or less exactly two weeks on the dot and seen it mentioned by others on here. Presumably this third part router wouldn't do that?

Just need to wait and see how much of an issue this develops into.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

The home hub reboots seem to be initiated by BT, not sure quite why. It only affects BT Home home hubs, so I suspect it part of the remote management system they use.

It does not affect the TP Link router, it just stays connected. For £30 its very good value.

campdave
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Awesome, thanks ever so much for all your help!

0 Ratings