Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
barcud_revnik
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

2.4 and 5GHz wireless network

Hi there,

I have a HomeHub4 and a bit of wireless trouble.

I have set up the 2.4GHz network with a different SSID to the 5GHz network.

My problem is, that no device (and I know they can do 802.11n) can even SEE the 5GHz network.

I am running some WiFi manager on an Android smartphone, on a tablet and with a USB wireless PC dongle but noneof them can see a network on the channel I set up for my wireless 5GHz network.

I tried to argue the case with BT on the phone but there I always just go through the motions of "Have you tried switching it off and on again"

Could somebody please confirm that I should be able to see the SSID of the 5GHz network with WiFi scanners - please.

Yes, I know I need to be close and so on but I tried it with the phone next to the Hub and still nothing.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: 2.4 and 5GHz wireless network

The devices have to be dual band as well, ie capable of receiving 5GHz and 2.4GHz, not many devices can do that, even USB wireless dongles can`t unless the are dual band.

0 Ratings
barcud_revnik
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

So you are saying only a dual band wifi device will be able to see the 5GHz network?

How can it then switch from n to b/g if it detects that n is not good enough if it can't even see both networks?

Perhaps I am wrong but that does not make sense to me.

The phone/tablet must make a decision on which network to use based on something and i would have thought that signal strength is one of the key parameters - so to make that decision the phone/tablet needs at least be able to SEE both networks - I am not saying that it can use both of them at the same time but it needs to know when to switch.

Here is what my phones specs say:

"Data connection also through Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, DLNA.Wi-Fi supports dual band Hotspot support"

Hmmmm, so I still don't know if I should be able to at least see it or not.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

The 2.4Ghz band also supports wireless "n".

You definitely need a dual band adapter to receive 5GHz, a typical one is this one.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-dual-band-wi-fi-dongle-600-8W45.html

Unless a device or adapter specifically states that it is dual band, then it will only be 2.4GHz.

There is not much to be gained by using 5GHz, as the range is very short so you will have to be very close to the home hub to see it.

Which phone do you have?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Your phone and tablet have to be able to use the 5GHz frequency for them to be able to see it when you scan. Check the specifications of your devices on the manufactures website to find out this information if you are not sure.

If they can use 5GHz check your phone and tablet WiFi advance settings, wifi frequency band and set it to auto so that it can select either frequency or if you prefer set it to the single frequency you want it to use. 

See this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44385/346

0 Ratings
barcud_revnik
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

OK, I think I get it.

Problem is, it is not that easy to find out if a phone supports the 5GHz range - with mine I had to find out which wireless chip it uses and then found out that this chip is NOT 5GHz.

Not sure about the tablet and my USB dongle yet.

Thanks for the answers.

Why do I want 5GHz ? - I sit quite often airly close to the hub but the wireless signal drops every now and then (about twice in a typical evening). I thought I could do something to prevent that using the 5GHz channels.

Well hey - doesn't seem to be that way.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings