cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 41 of 45

Re: 2.4GHz WiFi keeps disappearing but 5GHz works

And again - resurrecting this thread as I'vebeen having this issue with my BT wifi for over a year. It happens both with my BT Hub 6 and also my TPLink AC1600 when I swapped that in. It must be an interference issue, although I haven't a clue what's causing it. Whenever the 2.4 goes, the 5ghxz is still working absolutely fine. The 2.4 still tries to connect but gives the message "incorrect password". Obviously it isn't the incorrect password, as it connects ok with the same one shortly after. I've come to the conclusion that there's so much that relies on 2.4ghz that interference increasingly affects it. Oh and I've also tried changing channeds and setting it to auto channel - nothing makes any difference.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 42 of 45

If you haven't already tried it, set it to channel 13. This is not normally used by routers and other devices. If you get a warning about using it being illegal just ignore it, that only applies in the USA.

0 Ratings
jpg1
Beginner
Message 43 of 45

Since my previous post (third one back, dated last September) I no longer have the problem - but for reasons that I don't really understand! I now have three "sub-hubs" (one HH5 and two HH4s) and as before one is connected by a long ethernet and the others by TPLink powerline adaptors (AV 500 and AV600). I read that these have a powersave facility which is enabled by default so I followed advice to disable this. Confusingly the powerline utility shows the option to set the mode only on the upstream device when instinctively one would expect it to be the downstream device that would sense that it was idle and power off. However after I disabled powersave wherever available (including the "spare" upstream device that is functioning as a downstream one) I have had no further problems. I can see some inadequacies in my procedures: I should have checked whether a device local to the main hub could connect specifically to it on the 2.4 channel - in normal use only my main pc connects to the HH6 because of it's poor position in the building, and it connects by ethernet, -everything else comes in via the "sub hubs" and mostly via the one upstream powerline adaptor; I should also have checked how and why the incorrect ip addresses were apparently issued to devices that could not connect; it would also be good to know why an adaptor which has shut down when idle and in powersave mode does not awake when access is attempted. However I can't check these items now as I have a functioning system. I can also see that this does not seem relevant to the problems that others are experiencing although at first it seemed to be the same problem
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 44 of 45

can I do this on BT smart hub?

@gg30340wrote:

If you haven't already tried it, set it to channel 13. This is not normally used by routers and other devices. If you get a warning about using it being illegal just ignore it, that only applies in the USA.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 45 of 45

@Burmey wrote:

can I do this on BT smart hub?

@gg30340wrote:

No. As far as I am aware the Smarthub only allows you to select one of 3 wireless channels and channel 13 is not one of them.

0 Ratings