Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
waterfall
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

2 Xbox's one router problems BT home hub 3

Hi everyone, I'm desperately in need of some help.

I seem to have a major problem in my house with xbox live and the BT homehub 3 that we have.

I have an xbox 360 that is wired to the router using an ethernet cable and my brother also has an xbox 360 which is wired (but can be used wireless as it is one of the newer xbox's). I went to university in september and when I came back at christmas I noticed my xbox live would disconnect at random intervals, which then turned to it disconnecting as soon as I signed into live etc etc. It has never been the same since and to my knowledge nothing has changed regarding the router settings.

I've been disconnected too many times to count, either whilst playing FIFA or GTA online, opening up netflix and even just sitting on the xbox live dashboard and I'm getting fed up of it. My brother never had connection problems until I started tinkering other than a moderate and sometimes strict NAT type.

I need your guys help with setting up the router so both of our xbox's will work online as they used to with the homehub 2. 

Here is the list of things that I have tried that have either not worked or have worked and stopped working after a day or two:

1. Set both Xbox's to automatic IP addresses and have UPNP enabled

2. Assign my xbox a static IP address and forward the xbox live ports on the homehub settings (This didnt work either) and I've also done this without port forwaring and just UPNP

3. Disable and re-enable UPNP numerous times

4. Put my static IP address of the xbox into the DMZ (This worked for a few days but it eventually seemed to knacker up my brothers connection and then I started disconnecting again). I've also put his into the DMZ too afterwards but still no luck.

5. And finally i've done all the xbox-side things like deleting my profile, clearing the cache and restoring the settings etc.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do? I just simply want a stable connection to xbox live on both of our xbox's without a strict NAT type! 

Thank you and sorry for the long post

Waterfall

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Rottie
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: 2 Xbox's one router problems BT home hub 3

@waterfall wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm desperately in need of some help.

I seem to have a major problem in my house with xbox live and the BT homehub 3 that we have.

I have an xbox 360 that is wired to the router using an ethernet cable and my brother also has an xbox 360 which is wired (but can be used wireless as it is one of the newer xbox's). I went to university in september and when I came back at christmas I noticed my xbox live would disconnect at random intervals, which then turned to it disconnecting as soon as I signed into live etc etc. It has never been the same since and to my knowledge nothing has changed regarding the router settings.

I've been disconnected too many times to count, either whilst playing FIFA or GTA online, opening up netflix and even just sitting on the xbox live dashboard and I'm getting fed up of it. My brother never had connection problems until I started tinkering other than a moderate and sometimes strict NAT type.

I need your guys help with setting up the router so both of our xbox's will work online as they used to with the homehub 2. 

Here is the list of things that I have tried that have either not worked or have worked and stopped working after a day or two:

1. Set both Xbox's to automatic IP addresses and have UPNP enabled

2. Assign my xbox a static IP address and forward the xbox live ports on the homehub settings (This didnt work either) and I've also done this without port forwaring and just UPNP

3. Disable and re-enable UPNP numerous times

4. Put my static IP address of the xbox into the DMZ (This worked for a few days but it eventually seemed to knacker up my brothers connection and then I started disconnecting again). I've also put his into the DMZ too afterwards but still no luck.

5. And finally i've done all the xbox-side things like deleting my profile, clearing the cache and restoring the settings etc.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do? I just simply want a stable connection to xbox live on both of our xbox's without a strict NAT type! 

Thank you and sorry for the long post

Waterfall

Hi there,

I recently (only yesterday, in fact) answered a very similar query to yours and a quick forum search on your behalf would have uncovered this. 🙂

But anyways, moving on 😛

Below is the pasted reply from the other post, to save my poor fingers tyoing it all out again 😉

If you are using UPnP, then you will need to use what's known as "Port Range Triggering".

You can't use "Port Range Forwarding" as the limitation of this is that it expects the ports to be directed to one internal IP address.

The ports you need to forward are as follows:
53, 88, 80 and 3074.

Disable DMZ (should be disabled by default on the Home Hub 4, but double-check) and also disable "Port Range Forwarding", if this option is available.

Lastly, you will need to set your MTU to 1364 to avoid lag issues.

*DISCLAIMER: This is generic advice, sourced from the internet, so I cannot be held responsible for it's accuracy, as I don't use a Home Hub router*

Here's a Youtube link that will visually explain the process. Although the poster isn't using a Home Hub router, essentially the process is more-or-less the same thing for all routers.

0 Ratings
waterfall
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

cheers for the reply!

I can't seem to find how to port range trigger on the homehub though, does anyone know how to do it?

0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 4 of 7

@waterfall wrote:

cheers for the reply!

I can't seem to find how to port range trigger on the homehub though, does anyone know how to do it?

Hi again,

If you follow this link and specifically look at post #5, the poster there has posted a screenshot, showing port ranges, based on their HH2, which shouldn't be too different from your HH3 🙂

I hope this info helps. 😄

0 Ratings
waterfall
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

I can't do port triggering on a bt homehub 3 unfortunately 😞 theres no option to do so. Its been disconnecting tonight too again which is really annoying 😞 and my brothers xbox isnt even online!

0 Ratings
waterfall
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Hi, It worked for a few days although my xbox has gone to strict and has resorted to kicking me off again. I didnt manage to do the port triggering as I dont think you can on the homehub 3, do you have any more suggestions? cheers

0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 7 of 7

The home hubs are just terrible.

I had problems keeping an open NAT with a home hub 3 when I only had one xbox.

The UPnP on the home hubs 3 is buggy and usually stops working after a couple of days.

Only restarting the router will fix it.

So when I used a home hub 3 I had to restart the hub every couple of days while xbox was switched off just to keep the NAT open.

Even port forwarding on the home hub 3 is glitchy and will stop working requiring a reboot.

Just make sure the static IPs are set up in the hub settings by checking always use the same ip address for both xboxes and use UPnP.

Dont use any port forwarding at all. Also port triggering isn't available on homehubs.

Unless you buy a new decent router that is designed to allow 2 or more xboxes to be connected at the same time with open NATS then you have no choice but to put up with it and restart the router every time the UPnP stops working which is probably every other day.

0 Ratings