cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamesfmclean
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

2 hubs, powerline adapters and PPPoE errors

Myself and my girlfriend just moved back into my parents house bringing with us a smart hub type b from our year living at university.
We thought we would try and use it in conjunction with a tplink powerline adapter to strengthen WiFi at the top of the house and use it as a port to plug our PCs into, neither of which have wireless cards.
We did some fiddling with our hub to set it as a slave to the main router, a smart hub type a and this worked, ish, for a good few minutes and then the whole house lost broadband connection and our troubles began.
We unplugged our second router and reset everything to its original state but started getting multiple house wide connection drops every day, today being day 3, and we have now lost any connection for the last few hours with the event log of the hub listing 'PPPoE error: timeout' many times. This is after 3 attempts to contact bt support, once with a very knowledgeable woman who was all too happy to suggest fixes during our attempts to get the 2nd smart hub up and running and more recently with 2 first line techs who had nothing useful to suggest from their script other than changing our broadband username on the router to our land line number as the suffix rather than bthomehub.

Any suggestions or advice on what to do would be appreciated!
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: 2 hubs, powerline adapters and PPPoE errors

Change the IP address of the second hub to 192.168.1.253 and disable DHCP. Connect the 2 hubs together LAN port to LAN port via the powerline adaptors.

Also best to set the wireless  on the 2 hubs to different channels to avoid interfering with each other

0 Ratings
Jamesfmclean
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

We did that, well, 10 rather than 253 for the ip and it still knocked the whole system out.
We had a 10 minute burst of connectivity again but am now back to PPPoE errors in the logs. May leave it for today and try escalating it tomorrow and see what support says again.
It seems like I've posted 2 threads about basically the same thing by mistake so sorry to anyone who reads both!
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

I've deleted the other thread.

Not sure why it isn't working, works a treat for me.

You will get PPPoE errors in the slave hub logs as there is no PPPoE connectivity.

You will be wasting your time with support, there is far more knowledge here on the forum.

0 Ratings
Jamesfmclean
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Thanks!

Currently the second hub isn't even connected while we try and diagnose the issues with the main one.

Either it's a massive coincidence or all my fiddling has caused these issues.

What is the cause of a PPPoE error?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Ah, thought the PPPoE errors were on the slave. Seems a bit of a coincidence but I can't see how anything you have done would have caused the problem. Might be worth trying a factory reset of the Hub by pressing the recessed button with a pin until the lights flash.

Are you getting DSL events in the log as well or just PPPoE?

0 Ratings
Jamesfmclean
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

During periods of PPPoE errors that's all I get, had half an hour of one every 30 seconds earlier. Now connected after a reset according to logs.

I just got my girlfriend to try and use the Internet, she's the only one connected via tplink powerline adapter directly to her pc and it died instantly for the whole house.

Will look at the logs again and see what they say.

Update: logs are back to PPPoE errors will try and use tplink connected pc to browse again when connection comes back to confirm if it is that that's causing it.
0 Ratings