cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrsDrink2017
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

2 months of broadband/wifi dropping & not getting anywhere with CS.

On 5th March after a couple of broadband drops, I registered a fault with BT online.

Since then the problem hasn't gotten any better.  And BT don't seem to be doing anything about it, nor particularly care.

As of today (5 hrs of being awake) the internet has dropped 4 times.  I am not exaggerating - I actually started writing this on 3G as the broadband was down.   In the last 2 weeks I've used nearly 1gb of cellular data because my iPad cannot stay connected to the internet.

This really is an infuriating joke.  A few years back we tried Talk Talk which was so shocking, less than a year later we came back to BT with our tails in between our legs.  This feels like we're back on Talk Talk!

My husband (whose account it is) has phoned BT CS a couple of times, and they've tested the line (I've also ran the quiet line test - which comes back ok).  They have 'reset the line', we have reset the BT home hub (which is an old one with a white DSL box but apparently this isn't the problem); and we've taken the front faceplate off the BT wall box.  

Since the last phone call to BT I am now logging all the wifi drops.  I say wifi because everything apart from BT Vision is connected to the internet via wifi.   Sometimes the BT Vision (Eurosport) is affected, other times (like this last one) it isn't.  

When the internet is working it is absolutely fine and all speed tests come back ok.   The dropping of wifi/broadband is just slowly causing me to lose the will to live!

BT are going to lose a loyal customer (we have the full package - TV and BT sports included) which is a shame.  As I type Virgin are slowly digging up our town and laying cable. If BT don't sort this out they will lose a loyal customer before the year is out!

(PS I've had to register under a non-BT email as while we have access to the BT account online - we can't remember the BT email password and apparently the security information my husband inputs is wrong).

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: 2 months of broadband/wifi dropping & not getting anywhere with CS.

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 23

MrsDrink2017 wrote:we have reset the BT home hub (which is an old one with a white DSL box but apparently this isn't the problem); and we've taken the front faceplate off the BT wall box.  

@MrsDrink2017

Do you mean you have a white Openreach modem and a home hub, as that would indicate you are on BT Infinity, not normal broadband?

Which home hub do you have?

0 Ratings
MrsDrink2017
Beginner
Message 4 of 23

Hi John,

Thank you for getting back to me

Quiet line test - ok - no noise.

image2.PNG

These are the logs from the last drop (14:43-14:50)

image1.PNG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MrsDrink2017
Beginner
Message 5 of 23

Oh!  Maybe I've posted in the wrong place - I'll add a photo - I thought infinity was 'cable' - ours is normal phone line broadband. image1.JPG 

Please move this if I'm in the wrong place.

(PS I had to find the log above through troubleshooting > event log)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

You have a BT Infinity connection. I will move this thread to the Infinity board.

Which home hub do you have?

That is a very poor download speed, was that done using an Ethernet cable connected to the computer?

Which one of these matches your master phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg ornewnte.jpg

0 Ratings
MrsDrink2017
Beginner
Message 7 of 23

Thank you!

Home hub 3

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Thanks.

If you could please answer the questions on my last post, it would help.

0 Ratings
MrsDrink2017
Beginner
Message 9 of 23

It's the last one.

I'll re run the speed with it plugged directly in instead of a cable running upstairs.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 23

@MrsDrink2017 wrote:

It's the last one.

I'll re run the speed with it plugged directly in instead of a cable running upstairs.

Thanks.

Its possible that the master socket is faulty, so if you could please remove the bottom section of that socket, and plug the Openreach modem into the test socket that is hidden behind, and see if the speed test results improve.

You will need a microfilter to do that.

Similar to what is shown below, except this picture is for a different master socket.

test_socket.jpg

Do you have any extension sockets, as they should be totally dead once that bottom section is removed. You can check that with a phone.

0 Ratings