cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnSound
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

25 days and counting, a disgrace!

Hi everyone, let me share with you a little timeline.

Day 1, April 14th, our broadband and phoneline suddenly stop working. I hear from a neighbour that his is down too, so we both call it in. Will be sorted in 3 days we're told.

Day 3, April 16th, I receive a voicemail on my mobile from a BT engineer who says he's sourced the problem to the nearest village but will need to submit paperwork to the council to allow for temporary traffic lights in order to access a manhole cover. Bt.com/faults shows repair date of April 20th (day 7)

Day 8, April 21st, no news. My neighbour notices a section of phoneline that has suffered fire damage! This section of cable runs along the ground and has had it's outer casing melted through when someone was burning away some overgrowth. Reported to BT faults. Bt.com/faults still says April 20th.

Day 12, April 25th. Engineer shows up. Has been told nothing about damaged cable OR manhole cover, goes to investigate, finds cable, reports back that there is a problem in the village and someone will need to go down the manhole, he's not that someone. Bt.com/faults still says April 20th.

Day 20, May 3rd. Still no news so I call again. Told I'll get a call on Tuesday, day 22. Bt.com/faults still says April 20th.

Day 22, May 5th. BT call, say it will be fixed that day, they will monitor the line for a few days and call back on May 8th, day 25. Bt.com/faults still says April 20th.

Day 25, May 8th. Still nothing. Openreach van spotted in village but engineer is laying new fibre cables, nothing to do with our problem which he knows nothing about. I call again just to be told I'll be getting called back tomorrow. In the meantime, BT have sent me their bill for the month!

4 rural houses are affected, two of them with elderly couples and two with self employed occupants. 25 days is ridiculous, the compensation better be good.

A couple of days with no internet is liberating, a few more is difficult, 25 is a joke! What's the record?
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: 25 days and counting, a disgrace!

from some of the posts on the forum at 25 you have a long way to go

the problem is with openreach but the mods will post a contact us link and see if they can help or at least find out what problem is 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi JohnSound,

Thanks for posting and welcome back!

Sorry that your services have developed a fault and for the length of time it's taking to sort out.  I can pick this up and keep you updated until you're back up and running again.

Click on my username and under the "about me" section of my profile you'll see the link to get in touch with us.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
JohnSound
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the quick reply imjolly, and thanks for the warning!

Robbie I've contacted you as described. I'd prefer to be contacted by my mobile number if possible, as mobile internet where I live is slow & unreliable.

I hope you can help escalate this as my neighbours and I keep being told different things, most of which are blatant lies: will be fixed today, tomorrow, Friday etc, or "The engineer is working on it now" No he's not, I'm standing here looking at the burnt cable, no engineer in site!
0 Ratings
JohnSound
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Day 26, May 9th. There are no engineers in sight, damaged cable is lying there for all to see, clearly untouched. I await my call, nothing. Meanwhile my neighbour has been told there aren't any suitably qualified "Manhole engineers" available, it'll be Monday 11th (day 28)

Why are manhole engineers required for an exposed cable?

I try calling 03301234567 again but this time just say "complaint" when prompted, instead of "Fault." I eventually get through to "Customer Resolutions" in Stoke, woohoo. This is billing though so I'm put through to faults in Lincoln. Faults man asks what I was told when I was called an hour earlier, I wasn't, someone somewhere is telling lies again!

Faults man calls Openreach who reiterate the need to go down the manhole and admit their no-shows on previous scheduled dates.

Lets see what happens on Monday, hopefully something!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

as I said it can take 3/5 working days for mods to reply after you submit the email

when you submit the email following the contact us link you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help all of who consider their problem a priority and therefore mods reply to emails in date of receipt athat way everyone is treated equally

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
JohnSound
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

Yeah I understand that, thanks though.

I just thought surely it can't do any harm to pursue this from as many angles as possible, and to document it here in the process.

I'll report any positives as well as the negatives incase my experiences can help others in a similar position.
0 Ratings
JohnSound
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Day 28, May 11th, nothing. There was a call to my mobile this afternoon (I was told they'd call in the morning) but I was unable to answer, and despite being instructed to leave a voicemail if I didn't answer, they did not.

Burnt cable is still sitting out exposed, bt.com/faults STILL says the repair date will be April 20th!
0 Ratings