cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james_xs
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

2nd Router

Hi I have just changed to Bt infinity from Sky. I had another router connected to the sky router and I had fab coverage. The Bt one my 2nd router has no Internet. It transmits WIFI name and strenght but just cannot connect.  Have looked and is it something to do with the Ip address? the 2nd one is (Cisco) currently set to dymamic. Please any ideas as my lodger is kicking off. lol

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: 2nd Router

Slightly confused as to what you had connected to what and what you now have connected to what and how they are connected. Presumably via Ethernet, but are they connected LAN-LAN or LAN-WAN.

0 Ratings
james_xs
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Sorry. BT Infinity Home hub, This is connected to a Cisco router in another building. They are connected by Cat 6 cable.

The telephone line , ADSL is into the BT hub. I have PC connected to this and thats ok. I have from the other lan port to the cisco wireless router.

With the sky Router it just worked. Now I have the BT home hub instead the other router does not get internet from the home hub.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

You need to give the Cisco router an IP address in the same subnet as the Home Hub. Give it an address of 192.168.1.253

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

• is that not the address of the usb port?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

How can a USB port have an IP address?

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 12

I think some issue like this are caused by the fact that different ISP supplied routers have different IP addresses. Like Sky's might be 192.168.1.1 & BT's is 192.168.1.254.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

@TimCurtis wrote:

I think some issue like this are caused by the fact that different ISP supplied routers have different IP addresses. Like Sky's might be 192.168.1.1 & BT's is 192.168.1.254.

Actually that's a bad example. Problems occur when people try to use 2 routers that have the same address or are in different subnets, e.g one in 192.168.1.xx and the other in 192.168.0.xx.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 12

@licquorice wrote:

@TimCurtis wrote:

Actually that's a bad example. Problems occur when people try to use 2 routers that have the same address or are in different subnets, e.g one in 192.168.1.xx and the other in 192.168.0.xx.

Not exactly a bad example, just an example where under 1 setup the second router's default gateway might be set to 192.168.1.1 and on another 192.168.1.254.

Your example is also totally valid.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

@TimCurtis wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

@TimCurtis wrote:

Not exactly a bad example, just an example where under 1 setup the second router's default gateway might be set to 192.168.1.1 and on another 192.168.1.254.

Your example is also totally valid.

But if the 2 routers are connected LAN-LAN, it won't matter what the default gateway is on the second router (and probably won't have a setting to enter one anyway as it will default to its own IP address) as the connected device (PC) will be obtaining its IP address and default gateway information from the first router via DHCP. The second router is just an Ethernet switch really. At least that's my understanding. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings