cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

3 Party Router

Hello,

could you tell me please,we are in the process of having bt fibre 2 fitted I would like to know am I allowed to replace the bt  home hub 2 ? Would I be breaking my agreement I have with bt.

this is just a enquiry at the moment

If not how would I get the 3rd party router to work ? What settings would I have to change in the router

(net gear night hawk) I have heard these are top class

thank you.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: 3 Party Router

There is absolutely no obligation to use the BT hub, you can use a third party router. Just make sure it is appropriate for your service, i.e a VDSL modem/router if you have FTTC.

The only settings you require to make are the generic PPPoE credentials of username and password bthomehub@btbroadband.com and BT respectively. You might als need to set vlan ID of 101

Message 3 of 4

Suggest you hang on to the homehub as when I had a speed issue on my line BT did not want to know as I was using Tplink router. I had to plug the home hub in until issue was resolved. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 4 of 4

you also need to retain the SH2 as it is only on loan and needs to be returned if your move ISP otherwise you will be charged for the hub.  you don't have to actually use the hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.