cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

3rd Party routers & BT TV

Hi all.

First time poster so be kind! I've searched hard for this answer but couldn't quite get the answer so here I am. I'm about to move into a new house and BT tell me that before my Fibre at the new house is activated that if I connect to the ONT already there from the previous owners (who already had FTTP) I should be able to use their internet until mine is activated and a hub is shipped.

To this end, I realise that I will need a 3rd party router that support PPPoE connections inbound using the standard BT login credentials. I have an Asus router from my old Virgin connection but it won't support it as it's primarily a cable router. 

I'm very well versed on all the recommended models in terms of speed, WiFi 6 etc. and have done my research in this regard. However, (I am getting to the point I promise) there seems to be conflicting information on whether all 3rd party routers play nice with BT TV. I have read about people enabling  (BT)IGMP Proxying in their configs to enable it and it seems some routers work out the box with no issues..? Another user said their Orbi system didn't play nice for example.
The bottom line is that before I drop big money on a fancy router or mesh system, is this is a problem I should concern myself with or can I plug the YouView box into the new router no problem. Is this issue overblown? Am I talking complete gibberish?

Help me BT community, you're my only hope.

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: 3rd Party routers & BT TV

@nagsy 

What model of Asus do you have as I think many ofthe models will connect successfully to the ONT?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

I was thinking a recent WiFi 6 model; something in the region of ASUS RT-AX88U, ASUS RT-AX86U or perhaps ASUS ZenWiFi AX.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 9

BT TV uses multicast, hence the need for IGMP snooping. There are many posts on this forum about Asus  routers not playing nicely with Multicast and one or two about Zen (also not playing nicely)

Use the search bar above for more info

Message 5 of 9

That's really useful. Interestingly my current Asus router from 2017 has support for IGMP Proxy and IGMP Snooping in the WAN settings so it's worth trying that first. Looks like more research is required. Thanks.

Message 6 of 9

@nagsy 

I was asking about your existing router so what model is it?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Ah I'm sorry. My current model is an Asus RT-AC3200.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@nagsy
That should work just fine.
Message 9 of 9

Thank you for your help - much appreciated.
0 Ratings