cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: 3rd party VDSL router setup issues

Thanks @Crimliar that's a good point. Would a dedicated modem like a Draytek Vigor V167 suffer the same issue?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Yup the Vigor 167 will work just fine (any additional buffering would be unnoticeable) - so long as it's the UK version - if the version isn't mentioned don't buy!  I'd check the BT/EE shop for prices on them because oddly they have at times been significantly cheaper than any anywhere else.
The old advice used to be to get the old BT modems secondhand, but with the age of these, it's probably not a great idea!
*My old Vigor 166 was bought from the BT shop for about £90 a few years back.  When we moved to FTTP it sold on eBay for just over £90!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 13 of 20

Regardless of age, the Huawei HG612 is still a rock solid go to modem for VDSL.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Thanks for your help and time @Crimliar and @TimCurtis, I'm going to chalk the zyxel as a failure and look at the draytek. FTTP I can only dream 🤣

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

I really wouldn't waste money on a Draytek modem

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

@licquoricewhat other vendors or modems would you recommend? Ideally I'd like to avoid Huawei or TP link for reasons. But definitely open to suggestions.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

The only other pure modem is the Netgear DM200 which is poorly rated

Not sure what your objection to the HG612 is but it is certainly the one I would choose.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

There's also the ECI version that Openreach deployed alongside the Huawei. From memory nothing really to choose between them performance wise, but the ECI can't be unlocked. Not that there's any real need to unless you want to obsess over line stats.

I know Huawei are currently the lepers of networking, but I've never heard of any issues with ye olde HG612. I might even resurrect mine shortly if I find any issues with the Smart Hub I've just put back into service to feed a mesh system.

Message 19 of 20

@licquorice @rbz5416 I accept I'm likely wearing a tinfoil crown of paranoia. I think that's why I'm exploring options. Ultimately the HG612 may be the way to go.

@licquoriceNetgear where never the pick of the bunch but seem to have gone down hill in some areas. Shame as they were good for affordable feature rich products in the past.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

@dan515 

The HG612 as mentioned is rock solid and no need for paranoia as in all probability you'll connected to a cabinet from the same source and if you are then the ECI would be a poor choice as your speeds would be slightly reduced.

The HG 612 can be sourced sub £30 and would have a similar resale value I'd guess.