so first up a disclaimer, i'm acutely aware that third party devices are not directly supported by BT and that milage may vary with them.
now with that out of the way.
I have recently jumped into a package deal of Fibre 300 and i have to say i am over the moon with everything, that is everything except the smart hub. so as many people have done here i have decided to give using my own hardware a crack. now i'm by no means an expert in networking but i would consider myself not exactly a greenhorn either.
I have got to a point where i have my Mikrotik RB3011 router up and running over PPPoE using the credentials available all over the forum. but i have encountered a strange quirk, it seems that my network speed is being clamped to ~1/3 the rated download speed. upload speeds appear to be either uneffected or to low to be impated. now to make sure i'm not going insane i have had the line up with full force with the SH2 unit and to make double sure that there's something fishy going on i've checked with a borrowed ASUS RT router. both of these routers have the nessesary CPU 'ooomph' to deal with the additional overhead that PPPoE packetisation places on them and yet both get capped at about 100Mbps down speeds when establishing their PPPoE connections. checking cable connections between them and the ONT show full duplex 1000Mbps (1Gbps) so L1 and 2 are sound. which leaves L3.. the network configuration.
does anyone have any idea what's going on here?
Solved! Go to Solution.
No idea where the problem lies, but one thing is absolutely certain, there is no deliberate throttling of third party devices by BT.
that's good to hear.
i shall keep digging into potential causes then, any possible solutions from the community will be listened to!
To Everyone that comes across this, when using a 3rd party router it is CRITICAL to double and tripple check that the issue doesn't sit deeper in your network, I found that a link between the router itself and my internal switch was only negotiating at 100Mbps this would very obviously cause the issue with the speeds being capped around 100Mbps!!!
now i feel i really do have a lot of egg on my face for sure!