cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

5 GHz wi-fi not turning on - BT Home Hub 5

So about a month or two ago I noticed my home hub had an orange light on the wi-fi symbol. I went into the hub settings page and noticed the 5 GHz wi-fi was not enabled. I get this message on the settings page for it:

'5 GHz Wireless Configuration
The 5 GHz wireless network is not enabled.

In order to make any changes to the 5 GHz wireless settings on the BT Home Hub you must first enable 5 GHz wireless connections.'

When clicking enable one of two things happen. Either the button does absolutely nothing. Or my hub will restart when I press enable and when it comes back up the 5 GHz is still not on. I have tried restarting the hub myself too and nothing. I ignored it at the time as I didn't really need it. The 2.4 was enough for my needs in connecting my phone.

However I now need this band and it won't turn on at all!

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: 5 GHz wi-fi not turning on - BT Home Hub 5

Try a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

This thread points to a similar issue relating to a firmware update.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/BT-Home-Hub-5-Type-A-Software-version-4-7-5-1-8...

0 Ratings
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Tried the reset button just now. Still not turning on. The button did work as my wi-fi password and port forwarding settings have been reset.

0 Ratings
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Had a look through the thread Keith and tried some suggestions on it but no luck.

While trying some suggestions I ended up discovering another problem. I can't access the 'Home Network' page under Advanced Settings on the hub settings. Clicking this link causes my hub to restart.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

It would appear that its  a hardware fault. If you are still in a contract, then you could as for a replacement home hub, but its probably going to be a HH6.

0 Ratings
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Yes I am still in a contract. How do I start the process of getting a replacement hub?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@Taker44 wrote:

Yes I am still in a contract. How do I start the process of getting a replacement hub?

The broadband technical helpdesk will be able to help with a replacement.

0 Ratings