cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nwilkins83
Message 1 of 10

522 IP REPUTATION BAD (please check for IP address listing on reputation services)

Hello,

We are a big hosting provider within the UK with multiple servers and thousands of hosted websites.

We have recently migrated a shared hosting server to new hardware and a new set of IPv4 IP addresses (freshly assigned by RIPE).

Customers hosted on this new server are trying to send emails to @btinternet and @btopenworld mailboxes using our smtp email server but they receive a bounce back stating "522 IP REPUTATION BAD (please check for IP address listing on reputation services)"

I have checked our shared IP address that is used to send email and it comes back squeeky clean!

What I need help with is who can I speak to to find out why our IP address was blocked and how to go about getting it removed again.

I tried BT's automated telephone service who put me through the the broadband team - They were helpful but kept giving me new numbers of departments I needed to phone which sent me on a wild goose chase returning me back to the same department again.

There must be a BT Yahoo email postmaster department I can get ahold / speak to regarding this...

Any help or advise please?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: 522 IP REPUTATION BAD (please check for IP address listing on reputation services)

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

Thanks

0 Ratings
nwilkins83
Message 3 of 10

Re: 522 IP REPUTATION BAD (please check for IP address listing on reputation services)

Hello Keith,

We are a business (not using BT's email servers to send email) but emailing to normal BT consumer customers...

I have also posted on the business forum but no moderators replying there...

Can you point me to some contact details for BT's email posmaster department please.

Many Thanks

Nick,

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

Have you tried postmaster@btinternet.com

It *should* go somewhere appropriate...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

@nwilkins83 wrote:

Hello Keith,

We are a business (not using BT's email servers to send email) but emailing to normal BT consumer customers...

I have also posted on the business forum but no moderators replying there...

Can you point me to some contact details for BT's email posmaster department please.

Many Thanks

Nick,

Hi Nick.

What is the mail server in question ?, and can you supply the complete message (removing any email addresses).

The current system is actually run by CP.net for incoming mail to BTinternet users

Do you run the mail server system yourself ? This has also happened recently for other people, but the indication is that the originating end may have needed something done rather than at the BT (cpcloud) end.

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 6 of 10

The problem is with reputation services whilst you state the your block is a new range its only new to you its probably been previously in use, hence you might have a legacy bad reputation, this might only be because these addresses were previously used as broadband client addresses or it might be something worse. Even assuming your addresses are clean then the default reputation will be 0. most email systems will rate limit even neutral rated IPs. My background on this side is with cisco Ironport and the default recommended settings on ironport would rate limit upto a reputation score of 2. The range is -20 to +20 and a new address would be set at 0 to start with normally. Granted these settings can be adjusted to whatever the administrator desires its unlikely someone is going to adjust these settings globally. Its possible that the email security administrator could manually raise your reputation but its going to depend on the security policies of the company they may prefer to keep the rate limit in place until your reputation goes up with the vendor they are using to secure email.

0 Ratings
Remoh1
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

I am also getting this error today when I wasn't getting it yesterday sending from and to the same email addresses from the same location I now get the error 

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its

recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:

host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk [65.20.0.49]: 522 IP REPUTATION BAD  (please check for IP address listing on reputation services)

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path: 

Received: from [93.157.219.252] (helo=[192.168.1.56])

by mx1uk.supremebox.com with esmtpa (Exim 4.72)

(envelope-from )

id 1VMvWR-0002So-Gl

for ; Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:53:04 +0400

User-Agent: Microsoft-MacOutlook/14.3.6.130613

Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 08:53:00 +0100

if i try to send from by bt account to the bt account i get this error

Your message has not been sent as you are accessing your email over an unsecure or untrusted connection. Visit www.bt.com/emailcodes  for advice on using secure connections.

0 Ratings
cleanthes
Message 8 of 10

I'm having this same problem even though we're not listed on any blacklists. Did you ever resolve it?

0 Ratings
cfortin
Message 9 of 10

Hi there,

I am also getting this error today although I was able to send messages to BT emails yesterday!

I tried to send a request to help to postmaster@btinternet.com as suggested here but that, too was returned.

Please help!

Thanks.

0 Ratings
cfortin
Message 10 of 10

Update: I'm on BT infinity. Our IP changed for the first time in months yesterday.
0 Ratings