cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

5ghz or 2.4ghz do i need to have both? Third party router

Screenshot 2020-12-20 at 12.28.03.png  I was wondering does anyone use two seperate channels logins   on there router seems to not sure if wireless is connected to 5ghz or 2.4ghz some devices seem to go on the 2.4 ghz with at close range as i am getting slower speeds on them.  but if i switch off 2.4ghz probably be not be getting the distance/range using the RT-AX88U.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 4

Re: 5ghz or 2.4ghz do i need to have both? Third party router

Do the two two networks not have different SSIDs', say in the form of SSID-2 and SSID-5 ?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hi there is only one log in the Wi-fi settings they combined with 2.4ghz and 5GHZ.   Should I split to have 2 Wi-fi  logins. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

@tomhumph97 

A single login is all you need and yes split the 2.4 and the 5Ghz and give them a SSiD (Name) of your choice.

Toms 2.4Ghz or Toms 5Ghz for example. Absolutely anything you choose that suits you.

Some devices will not connect to 5Ghz so have to use 2.4, that also applies to devices further away from the router as 5Ghz doesn't reach as far as 2.4Ghz.

For best speeds most certainly 5Ghz and any WiFi-6 device that is enabled and can handle it.

Make sure your 5Ghz channel is  set to 160Mhz and not conflicting with a neighbours Control channel thus resulting in a loss to your setup.

I live miles from anyone so mine is set to Auto as it doesn't affect me.

tom.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings