cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

900mbps internet but getting 90mbps?

Hello everyone, I'm looking to see if anyone could shed some light on the issue i am having regarding the full 900mbps fibre internet.

Speed test through BT and a few others, I am getting between 80 - 90mbps but every time i speak with them i get told the exchange is getting 935mbps. I had an open reach engineer out today and showed him the test. He plugged his laptop in a did two tests on the same website (fast.com) where the speed was 1GB and the second was 490mbps.

Could anyone please shed some light on this as the sons aren't happy how fast or slow should i say games update etc.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: 900mbps internet but getting 90mbps?

@Duckee06 

Are you testing the speed using a wireless connected device, or a direct Ethernet connection?

You will not get the full speed on a wireless connected device.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Hi Keith, The speeds are both the same through wired or wireless connections and on different devices such as phones, pc and ps5
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

@Duckee06 wrote:
Hi Keith, The speeds are both the same through wired or wireless connections and on different devices such as phones, pc and ps5

Make sure you are not confusing MegaBITS with MegaBYTES. Download speeds on games are measured in MegaBYTES.

The fibre connection speed will be a maximum of 900Mbs (Megabits), but you are sharing main backbone connection with many other users, so the speed will vary.

Also if you have more than one device connected, the speed will be shared between them all.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

See below, the right hand value shows download speed, and would be the absolute maximum, if you did not have a contended service.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

i understand that but the speed test are showing 90mbps when im supposed to get a minimum of 450mbps on the 900mbps package
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@Duckee06 wrote:
i understand that but the speed test are showing 90mbps when im supposed to get a minimum of 450mbps on the 900mbps package

To get the full speed, you would need to directly connect a PC with a 1Gb network  card, using a CAT 6 Ethernet cable.

In your case its possible that the network card on your PC, is only capable  of 100Mbs maximum, or you are using the wrong specification of Ethernet cable. 

That test would only be valid if there were no other devices connected, Ethernet or wireless.

0 Ratings