cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hunter17
Message 1 of 11

ADSL Broadband Settings for Netgear DG834GT (no Internet access)

A few weeks ago my DG834GT had been working with BT ADSL (not Infinity) for a year before it died, so I bought another GT with the latest firmware, but I can't get Internet access.

I am currently using a HomeHub 2.0 which works fine, so I know my line is OK.
I reset to factory settings and everything works on the GT except Internet: wireless works, ethernet, admin panel etc.

With the DSL cable plugged in, no DSL/Internet light is illuminated, only the power, wireless and ethernet number. The router status page of the admin panel always shows "Connecting", with no IP and 0kbps Downstream and 0 Upstream. Obviously no web pages work either (can't connect to server message).

The ADSL settings that I've tried:

Multiplexing: VC-BASED
VPC/VCI: 0/38
Network Type: PPPoA
Login: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password: BT

I signed in to the HomeHub admin panel to see what settings it uses, which is PPPoA with 0/38. The email address is bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password shows as ********

Have also tried various email addresses and passwords:

- btbroadbanduser@btbroadband.com
- my own personal @btinternet email and password
- my name as in john.smith@btbroadband.com and @btinternet.com
- password left blank
- password 0 (suggested by post on the forum)

Also tried PPPoE instead of PPPoA with the same various login details.

Also tried LLC-BASED instead of VC-BASED.

Also tried going through the wizard, which says it can't find the connection.

If anyone has a GT, or any Netgear router, could you please post your ADSL settings? Any other assistance would be appreciated too. My GT is Sky branded but I have flashed the firmware so it's now the same as an unlocked non-Sky one.

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: ADSL Broadband Settings for Netgear DG834GT (no Internet access)

the setting you have listed are the same as the ones I used to you with my netgear   The username and password are generic and used by everyone and verification is on your phone line not the username and password

if it was a locked SKY dg834gt are you sure that flashing the firmware has unlocked the router as it sounds like it does not recognise the BT connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

@hunter17 wrote:

The ADSL settings that I've tried:

Multiplexing: VC-BASED
VPC/VCI: 0/38
Network Type: PPPoA
Login: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password: BT

If anyone has a GT, or any Netgear router, could you please post your ADSL settings? Any other assistance would be appreciated too. My GT is Sky branded but I have flashed the firmware so it's now the same as an unlocked non-Sky one.

Thanks

The settings are correct, a password isn't actually needed unless the router insists on one, you can use anything.

Are you sure you have correctly flashed it?

Edit: Typing as imjolly posted.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

@licquorice 

good thing is we agree  Smiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

@imjolly wrote:

@licquorice 

good thing is we agree  Smiley Wink

Would have been embarrasing if we hadn't!! Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
hunter17
Message 6 of 11

Hi imjolly & licquorice gurus, thanks for the quick replies. I'm quite sure that the flash worked and unlocked it because there is no sign of sky on the admin panel anymore, plus all of the ADSL settings are available, whereas on the Sky firmware, they're all hidden. Also, the default admin login is admin and password, whereas sky would be admin and sky.

As far as I know the Sky lock was in the firmwire rather than hardware.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Perhaps the firmware image was for the wrong ADSL chip set, as its the front end hardware that is failing.

Remember that firmware also has a large part in defining the parameters of the physical hardware inside. Also, are you sure the router was working on Sky beforehand, especially as you bought it from someone else?

Its possible that it was damaged in some way?

I assume you have tried a different ADSL line cable, perhaps the one from your other Netgear?

0 Ratings
hunter17
Message 8 of 11

I flashed it with the current latest firmware for the DG834GT (DG834GT_V1.03.23.img). All UK DG834GTs have the same chipset, even Sky branded. I've just flashed it a second time and the problem persists.

I've tried my existing working DSL cable and filter, which all work on the HomeHub. Also tried the supplied cable and filter, and have tried my old power supply as well as the new.

It's possible that the unit is faulty or damaged in transit but unlucky if so. It's in good physical condition though. It was sold as in working order and sent in an Infinity box, suggesting that the reason for sale is their Infinity upgrade.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

hunter17 wrote: It was sold as in working order and sent in an Infinity box, suggesting that the reason for sale is their Infinity upgrade.

That may have just been a convenient box to send it in, its a chance you take with second hand stuff.

It may have been wise to check it, before you flashed it, as it would still have synced up on BT Broadband, it just would have failed to authenticate.

0 Ratings
hunter17
Message 10 of 11

Looks like I'll have to put it down to a faulty modem componenet. Actually it behaves exactly like my dead unit with the exception of having wifi working. The firmware flash should be successful or brick it rather than break individual components.

I didn't pay much but bought it in good faith and you don't expect to be given a broken device. To be fair it could have been thrown around by the courier.

Thanks anyway.

0 Ratings