Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
usermac
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 25

ADSL LINE STATS COMPARED TO VDSL

Go to solution

I have recently gone from adsl onto vdsl and i  am interested in knowing why my Line Attenuation and Noise Margin are different because I am connected to the same cab as before.  Also find it strange how when I was connected my noise margin was set to 6db and then this morning I noticed my noise crept down to 5db and then my line must have refreshed and then it went upto 9 but with a higher sync rate. I am still on a 10 day training.

Any advice thank you 

ADSL STATS 14th november 2018                                      

DSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed23.28 Mbps1.08 Mbps
Line Attenuation10.70 dB5.50 dB
Noise Margin2.90 dB6.40 dB

VDSL STATS 15NOVEMBER  

DSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed80.00 Mbps20.00 Mbps
Line Attenuation18.40 dB21.90 dB
Noise Margin9.10 dB15.40 dB
0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: ADSL LINE STATS COMPARED TO VDSL

Go to solution

Because you cannot compare apples with oranges. ADSL is fed from the exchange, VDSL is fed from the cabinet. VDSL uses much higher frequencies than ADSL and thus has a totally different attenuation characteristics. You are also currently getting the maximum speed of VDSL 80/20 which will mean your noise margin will be high.

Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 25

Go to solution

You are trying to compare chalk & cheese.

The attenuation is different as different frequencies are being used over a wider range.

Target noise margin for VDSL is 6dB. Once DLM has built up a profile for your line after a futher 10-14 days if you are connected to a Huawei cab then G.INP wil be activated reducing noise margin to around 3dB and possibly a small speed boost.

Looking at the stats you've provided you don't need G.INP to be activated. Your noise margin at 9dB could be due to having an max attainable speed higher than 80Mbps.

More on G.INP HERE.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

@pippincp wrote:

You are trying to compare chalk & cheese.

The attenuation is different as different frequencies are being used over a wider range.

Target noise margin for VDSL is 6dB. Once DLM has built up a profile for your line after a futher 10-14 days if you are connected to a Huawei cab then G.INP wil be activated reducing noise margin to around 3dB and possibly a small speed boost.

More on G.INP HERE.

Doubt the OP will get a speed boost to 80/20 or a 3dB noise margin Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution

Already edited post.Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
usermac
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

Apart from the obvious the freqency speeds are fastly different that was not what I was getting at in my question. And I was being fed from the same cabinet when I was on ADSL so that is why I question it. 

Also I read this that open reach trial 3db down for good lines so I dont get your noise margin should be high not really an exsplanation but thanks anyways

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution

Only your phone was fed from the cabinet, your broadband was fed from the exchange.

You are confusing cause and effect. Your noise margin is high because you are so close to the cabinet your maximum speed could be higher than 80M but is capped because that is the package highest speed.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

Read to link I gave for G.INP. You don't need it as you are already getting full speed.

Your noise margin is higher than target because you have a strong signal which overcomes any noise which may be present. This would be shown by a higher max attainable speed than 80Mbps (which you haven't provided).

0 Ratings
usermac
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution
thank you I think this makes more sense to me now
0 Ratings
usermac
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution
How do I find this max attainable speed ? All I have is Connection Speed which shows 80 I am guessing there is a speed cap of 80?

modem is Netgear DM200 shows basic stats compared to what you might see on homehub 6
0 Ratings