cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

ASUS AC2900 setup to replace BT smarthub

Has anyone gone through the process of setting up an ASUS AC2900 modem as a replacement for a BT SmartHub?
(Better for gaming).

Do you know where I can find the ISP configuration so I can setup?

modem.jpeg

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: ASUS AC2900 setup to replace BT smarthub

Is that the RT version, i.e is it just a router or is it a modem/router.

Do you have full fibre FTTP or just fibre to the cabinet FTTC?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

That device would appear to be just a router (although Google has misled me before now) so unless you have FTTP it can't be used as a direct replacement for the home hub.

If you have FTTP, the only configuration you need are the generic PPPoE login details which are

Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password BT

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Thank you for the reply @licquorice 

Yes, you're right. This is a router. So it needs to be setup as a compliment to the SmartHub (not as a replacement as I first thought). I have fibre to the cabinet. It's ADSL to the home.

I've connected the Smarthub LAN ethernet to the router internet input port. I've got the current setup as follows, but it is not connecting. Any ideas?

Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 17.28.36.pngScreenshot 2021-03-18 at 17.32.03.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

If you are connecting the ASUS WAN port to the hub LAN port, you need to set the connection type as DHCP not PPPoE or give the ASUS an IP address of 192.168.1.20. You will also be double natting if connected like that. You would be better buying a secondhand Openreach Huawei HG612 modem from Ebay and dispense with the hub.

Message 6 of 7

BT connection has dropped out completely. Apparently a problem in the exchange that's been off and on for weeks, just now that it's been noticed. Engineers coming out tomorrow. I've ordered the HG612 modem, so hopefully that will help simplify. Will post back once I've attempted setting that up. 

Found a great broadband checker, will post here in case it's helpful to others: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/telephoneHome

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@jakinvegas 

The dslchecker is nothing new and there are many many posts on the forums with this link already 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings