cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmj01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

ASUS DSL-AC68U - Auto Firmware Update caused problems - Solved

Just had a really odd problem which I've managed to fix luckily.

ASUS DSL-AC68U which has always been perfectly reliable.

However woke up to no internet this morning even though DSL connection was up. BT couldn't see any problems so booked an engineer 2 weeks out.

Whilst having a good poke around in the router logs and settings, I could see that the firmware was updated automatically at 2am.

And somehow the update manged to wipe out the username and password. 

Once I had put that back in as bthomehub@btinternet.com and BT, happy days and everything was back to normal.

Thanks Asus! Doesn't seem to be a setting to turn off auto updates.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
cm99
Beginner
Message 2 of 4

Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U - Auto Firmware Update caused problems - Solved

I also experienced this problem many many months ago.

Thankfully I had a backup router and managed to fault find from that,

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 3 of 4

It seems that with the most recent update that I applied - manually - that it now checks daily for new software but as yet not seen it do an automatic update.

I might go back to a previous version if it's now being done automatically as that's not what I really want to happen.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 4 of 4

Looks like this auto update feature might have been included in Version 3.0.0.4.386_38287 , released June 30. No mention of it in the release notes specifically , just a mention of "Fixed live update issues."

Mine actually updated a couple of days ago when I scrolled through the log to Version 3.0.0.4.386_39648. Bloody cheeky of Asus I think and unfortunately they closed their user forum quite some time ago.

0 Ratings