cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwDave1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

ASUS DSL-AC68U NAT Disable

I bought this router because I need to disable NAT and my BT Router would not allow this. However after connecting my ASUS router (and connection established...) if I then go and disable NAT I loose internet connectivity (even though the router thinks it is still connected). Any hints?? Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U NAT Disable

Why do you want to disable NAT? As you have discovered, disabling NAT will mean you lose internet connectivity. NAT is how your router 'translates' your public IP address to your private LAN IP address.

0 Ratings
jwDave1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Because behind the router I have a LinkSys Velop mesh WiFi. My cottage has very thick stone walls and distributing WiFi if very difficult. I face an issue however that remote connection to my system fails with NAT enabled because I have a ‘double NAT’ so I want to disable NAT on my ASUS modem and let my LinkSys allocate IP. I hope that makes sense?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

But you can't do that, if you have 2 routers you have to double NAT. Without NAT on the first device you won't have connectivity.

You just need to set up port forwarding on the ASUS to the IP address of the Velop WAN port and then port forward on the Velop to whatever device it is you wish to connect to. Double NAT, double port forward.

0 Ratings
jwDave1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Ok, I did not understand that, I will experiment with that tomorrow, it’s getting late where I live to mess about with it now. Many thanks for your help it is very much appreciated.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

If you don't need to use the ASUS for wifi or as a router you could configure it in bridge mode and just use it as a modem.

0 Ratings
jwDave1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

I don’t need either so this might work, I cannot find where to put it in Bridge Mode though, can you help further?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Sorry, I can't help you there, I'm assuming that it has a bridge mode but not absolutely sure and the user manual I have just downloaded doesn't appear very helpful. Hopefully our resident ASUS expert @TimCurtis  will be along to offer advice. In the meantime its a question of poking around the menus I'm afraid.

Of course the other alternative is an Openreach HG612 modem instead of the ASUS.

0 Ratings
jwDave1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Many thanks, I hope to hear from Tim...

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 10 of 11

I should make it very clear I'm nowhere near the expert some members here think I am.

I like Asus & use Asus kit and have been able to offer some advice in the past but expert I am not.

there is a bridge mode as far as I know  but you can obviously turn off wifi , dhcp etc, but I don't think that will help your issue.

There is an option to enable NAT passthru , is that something that might help? That's under the WAN setting.

Maybe a modem only device like the HG612 would be the better option.

0 Ratings