Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

ASUS DSL-AC88u won’t verify ISP number

Hi, 

I’m totally new to this so I shall try and explain as simply as possible. I’ve recently been given a new router. The asus dsl-88u. I’ve removed my old home hub and plugged the dsl cable that was previously in my home hub into the asus. All the lights come on apart from the internet light.  I go to 192.168.1.1 and start the setup process for the router. It detects what model the router is and then asks me which country I live in and what my ISP is. I put UK and BT infinity. It then asks what my username and password is for my ISP. I put:

username: btbroadband@btbroadband.com

password: BT

It then searches to check my credentials but after 5 mins it times out and asks to check again. It continuously times out I matter how many times I check. If I choose to cancel the search a screen pops up and tells me that my password and username were authenticated but my ISP won’t give the router a valid isp number. Am I missing something here? 

thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: ASUS DSL-AC88u won’t verify ISP number

User is bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password anything you want. BT if you want

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Hi, 

Thank you for the speedy reply. I’ve just tried using the username you gave me and it still won’t work. Just to clarify, I’ve got a double master socket that BT installed when I took out infinity several years ago. I’m just running an RJ11 cable from the socket to the dsl port on the back of the router. I was under the impression this router would be plug and play. I never had any issues with the Netgear router I used previously.  Also as a note, I checked to see if the router needed the firmware upgrading but it was already running the latest update. 

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

This may sound a daft question but has the router got a built in modem? If not is there one between the bt socket and the router?

I mention this because you say the broadband light is not on which to me indicates no broadband connection hence the timing out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

@JimmyPoP_79 

Was this a new new router or one that had been previously used?

What HomeHub were you replacing?

I'd try a full reset by pressing a pin into the reset socket for I guess about 10secs and then try again.

As an aside for the username you can use anything @btbroadband.com so changing the username you started with wouldn't have made any difference.

@RobertM 

Yes it has a built-in modem

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. The router was new. It’s replacing a Netgear D6400 which replaced the BT Smart Hub last year.  As for doing the full reset, I’m assuming I need to do that while it’s  plugged in and switched on?

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Hi, 

It has a modem built in. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Thanks for that I did wonder.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

@JimmyPoP_79 

Yes , have it switched on for doing a reset.

0 Ratings