cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Access Denied - You don't have permission to access

Go to solution

For the last few weeks I've been having trouble accessing certain websites, notably gooutdoors.co.uk and blacks.co.uk

I get the message

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/" on this server.

Reference #18.af8e7b5c.1625164353.9dfdb00d

I've tried changing DNS servers on my PC and clearing the cache. I have a SmartHub 2 but there doesn't seem to be any settings I can change.

The only thing that works is using a VPN or using my mobile on the 4G network.

There is a report from last year but the problem went away on its own accord.

Solved: Access Denied - You don't have permission to acces... - BT Community

I've tried using Wireshark to see what's happening but it's not been helpful so far.

Does anybody have an ideas?

Thanks in advance

Adrian

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Access Denied - You don't have permission to access

Go to solution

Have you checked that web protect is turned off in MYBT as BT have been setting to on by default

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply.

Web Protect was switched on, so I've switched it off but that could take a couple of hours to happen. I'll report back when it's off.

It is a bit strange that I've only noticed it on those websites, and the message isn't great. I also saw a similar issue with Virgin Media a while back which made me think it wasn't just a BT issue.

Solved: Access Denied - You don't have permission to acces... - Virgin Media Community - 4466942

That also went away without any definitive answer.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Just checked and MyBT says that Web Protect is switched off, but I still can't access those websites.

I wonder if there is anything I can do or if BT or the target websites need to fix this.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

I've just tried both sites, they both load fine for me.
Do you have any other security installed on your device ? it could be a firewall or other setting stopping you.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

I've got Kaspersky Internet Security but even if I pause the protection I still get the same error.

What's strange is the low key error message, I would expect Kaspersky or any other blocker to be a bit more forthcoming about not giving access to a website.

It's also strange that at least two different providers have had similar issues but they have resolved themselves.

This error is like when Fastly went down and lots of sites were just giving a terse error message. I'm not sure who I can report this to which is why I'd thought I'd ask here.

Both Go Outdoors and Blacks have been unavailable for a couple of weeks now. It's also strange they are both outdoor equipment companies, but then ellis-brigham is fine so it's not all outdoor equipment companies.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

I tried both sites and like @-Richie- had no problems accessing both sites so must be something in your settings or some security you have running

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Yes, I thought it might be something in my settings, as there were no reports those websites were having issues.

It's just that I've tried changing everything I can think of and I can't solve the issue. Also other reports of exactly the same issue don't have any solution.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Just a final thought. I am getting a 403 status being returned with this error which is "the server understood
the request but refuses to authorize it.".

This sounds like it's not my settings that directly cause the error, but maybe upset the server in someway.

Guess I'll just have to use a VPN or a phone connected to 4G if I want to access a website that shows this error on my PC.

Thanks to all that have replied.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@AdeEll 

Just to say I've got Kaspersky Total Security & that's definitely no the issue.

0 Ratings