cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Giorgio1
Message 1 of 7

Access Seagate NAS remotely

Hi guys,

Looking for some help to access my seagate blackarmor nas 400 remotley.

Have tries to access through filezilla using nas ip and public ip address to no avail.

would I need to try DMZ on my router or portforwarding? (Not sure about port forwarding)

How would I find the port numbers of my NAS if I need to do this?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Access Seagate NAS remotely

Welcome to this user forum.

See http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/209783en?language=en_US&key=ka030000000thIwAAI&kb=n&...

The BT Home hub does support UPnP, so it should work in theory.

0 Ratings
Giorgio1
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for this information, but this is not what I am looking for.

I can access my NAS on my home network on my macbook without any hassels.

The problem lies accessing it remotley.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

That is what it describes, it opens incoming ports from the Internet, so you can access it from outside of your own network. You have to do that from another Internet connection like mobile data, as the home hub does not support NAT Loopback.

You shold be able to access it from your public IP address, or from a host name, if you have an account with a DDNS provider.

0 Ratings
Giorgio1
Message 5 of 7

Thanks again Keith for the information.

Did try accessing it through filezilla by adding ftp://username:password@publicipaddress.

For some reason this did not work so I may have to find out the ports of the NAS and try port forwarding as per the information you sent. 

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

First of all give your NAS a static IP address outside of the DHCP range of the HUB, for instance 192.168.1.10 then have a read here of which ports to forward to that IP address. As your public IP is dynamic, you will need to sign up for a dynamic DNS service to track your changing public IP.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

I use neither a HomeHub or a Seagate NAS but an ASUS modem/router and a Synology NAS & a WD NAS so I'll describe what I do.

So Filezilla is an FTP client and when you run it you can specify the port you want to access. We'll say the port number is 1275 for example ( the default is usually 21 I think but I like to be different) . In the hub you forward port 1275 to the internal IP address of the NAS along with the port to forward it to and whether it is TCP or UDP or both. You may need to forward an additional range of ports, probably in the 55500 range depending what the NAS requires.

In the NAS your FTP server there will be set to receive on port 1275.

To address my NAS I use the DDNS maintained by my NAS ,and I suspect the Seagate  NAS might do something similar.

Hope that is of some help.

0 Ratings