A couple of weeks ago I was unable to access tesco.com or use the tesco shopping app on wifi & wired connections.
Did a factory reset & all was well. Until today.
It's now happening on multiple webistes - ups.com tesco.com halifax.co.uk
Example of the error is
You don't have permission to access "http://www.ups.com/track?" on this server.
Turning Wifi off on mobile & everything works.
I'm using a Hub 6A with Firmware version: SG4B1000E020
Solved! Go to Solution.
Hi, Sorry this isn't particularly helpful, but I've just joined BT and I'm having a similar issue to yourself.
Sites that I could access with my previous provider are blocked by BT which seems really strange.
I've done a reboot of the Hub & it's all working ok.
The first time I had the issue a reboot made no difference.
Thanks for the information, I’ll give that ago.
Which hub do you have, I have the new hub 2
It's a hub 6A
And I've got the Tesco access denied issue again today
Can't touch the router yet as I'm working from home on a vpn
Site access issues can sometimes be down to DNS problems. If you are using a Windows PC then try changing from the default BT DNS to Google DNS. You can't do this globally on the Hub, it has to be done on the PC being used.
It only takes a minute and you can revert back if you wish:
I switched to Google DNS some years ago as I had similar random issues with a few sites.
Also try this, again a couple of seconds to do:
Hi, Thanks for your information.
Have done what you advised just yesterday on Mac and used Open DNS.
I created an account with them which also allows you to set various security filters on there servers which is also completely free.
Since I have stopped using BT DNS I haven’t had a single problem, pity you change the router DNS settings.
Ive also spoke to a BT manager who advised that BT block or filter various websites, apparently for customers own safety even though customer don’t have parental controls activated. Personally I would like to have the option as I feel I’m a responsible adult and old enough to make my own decisions.
BT are now turning on Web Protect on all accounts even if you don't want or ask for it.
You should log onto your MyBT > My Products > Broadband, Manage > check to see if it has been turned on and if it has turn it off.
Web protect is off, but I've set the DSN to Google & everything is working again now
Hi Same here, web protect is and always was turned off I checked the settings multiple times.
As I’ve mentioned BT are definitely blocking sites without the user interaction or permissions via there DNS severs.
Changing them over to Open DNS or Google just proves the point.