cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Access point help

Hello does anyone know how I could get an access point for my bt infinity as the wifi is just so poor in most parts of the house? I was looking on getting a 3rd party wireless router but ive read somewhere that they dont connect to bt broadband. What are the best bt compatible wireless modem routers i could get for under £80? 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Access point help

You need a VDSLModem/router. They start in price at about £30. There are a few users on the forum who use the TP-Link TD-W9970.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Do you want an additional wireless access point or a replacement router for the HUB, it is not clear from your post. If you want additional waps you could either connect a dedicated wap via Ethernet cable to the HUB or you could use powerline adaptors such as these  If you want to replace the HUB entirely, any VDSL modem/router will work. There are not that many under £80 if you want fast wifi but if you only want to connect to the internet rather than stream on your LAN from a NAS etc then the TP Link TD-W9970 is about £35. The faster TP Link VR400 dual band device is about £70

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

yes I just wanted an additional wireless modem to place on the opposite side of the house. Is the tp W9970 substancial  do you think? I essentially want an addtional box to connect to our exhisting bt inifinity box and place on the opposite side of the house and to run some ethenet cables out of the additonal box for usage. Is the w9970 gigabit or fast enough do you think? Thanks for replying

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Lets just get the terminology sorted. You don't need a modem or a router if you just want additional wireless access. There are dedicated devices called wireless access points that will do the job and need to be connected via Ethernet cable to your hub, something like the TP-LINK TL-WA901ND Advanced 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point. As I said previously, if you don't want to run Ethernet cable you can just use the wifi hotspots that I linked to via your mains wiring.  If you are only connecting to the internet, your broadband speed will determine the maximum speed possible as the wireless speed will be faster than your broadband speed. The 9970 CAN be used as a wap if you wanted to.

Beginner
Message 6 of 12

this is all chinese to me so apologies for wrong names for things. I dont want it solely for additional wireless network I wanted an additional box that I can run ethernet cables from for gaming and computers and do this through wirelessly connecting to the bt infinity box. Not sure if av explained this correctly. I thought a wireless router could connect to my existing broadband and then have this additional router on the opposite side of the house to then run wired cables out of into consoles. What is it I need really confusing sorry

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

OK, what are you are wanting to do is not possible with the 9970 or any other router they would need to be connected to the Hub via Ethernet.  There are devices that will do  what you want such as the Edimax 150Mbps Wireless 802.11 b/g/n Range Extender / Access Point with 5-Port switch EW-7228APn but these rely on a good wifi signal to the device in the first place.

Did you look at the link I posted for the hotspots?  These devices use your mains wiring to provide a wifi hotspot and 2 Ethernet ports at the remote location. If you need more than 2 Ethernet ports, simply connect a cheap <£10 Ethernet switch to one of the Ethernet ports on the hotspot.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Do you have the link for the hotspot the device I’m not sure where to find your post thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Thanks so much for your help. Are the mini versions substantial do you think to give HD streaming and no lags etc?
0 Ratings