cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Accessing WiFi output from CCTV using my broadband/WiFi Smarthub 2router and computer

I am a novice regarding WiFi.

I have a Smarthub 2 router with a Hybrid gismo which rarely shows anything but 3 red bars!

Following recent attempts to  break in  to my garage, I have been advised to mount a WiFi CCTV on said garage's front.

This means I will be forced to buy a smartphone  (payg naturally) or possibly use the WiFi facility on my router.

The camera would be located approx 30m from the router. I live in a timber framed and clad bungalow, which I assume would present less signal interference.

Will the router require an aerial and could the aerial be mounted remotely via a wan cable?

Would this be a viable option? I assume that viewing the cctv images would require switching between networks?

BobH2

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Accessing WiFi output from CCTV using my broadband/WiFi Smarthub 2router and computer

@BobH2 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Wireless over that distance may not be reliable. If its important, then its best connected using an Ethernet cable from the house. You need a camera that has Ethernet and wireless capability.

Look at the ieGeek range on Amazon. I have a number of these cameras, and they have both wireless and Ethernet connectivity. The one shown below, is a later version.

ieGeek 2k Security Camera Outdoor Wireless with Automatic Tracking, CCTV Camera Systems with Full-Colour Night Vision, Pan/Tilt 360°, 2-way Audio...

Assuming you have power in the garage to power the camera, if you cannot run a cable, then powerline adapters may work, they can extend an Ethernet connection from the home hub to the garage.

You can always try wireless first, to see if it works.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Re: Accessing WiFi output from CCTV using my broadband/WiFi Smarthub 2router and computer

Hi Keith and thanks for your speedy response.
I am trying to avoid digging trenches. Unfortunately the power cables to the garage were laid some years ago, and if I knew then what I know now, I would have run the necessary wiring in the ducting.
On the question of WiFi from camera to smartphone, How reliable is that?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

The cameras connect to the home hub. If you are using the smartphone app while you are connected to your home network, then the two link directly together via the home hub.

If you are away from home and your smartphone is connected to a different network, then the camera signal from your home hub, connects to the smartphone app, via a remote PTP (Peer To Peer) server.

Most cameras can also be viewed locally on a PC app like HIP2P client.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

I take it the cameras are connected via WiFi?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

That particular one seems to be wireless only. I have some older ones which have Ethernet as well, but I am only using wireless. They connect to my wireless mesh network which is connected to the home hub. Most seem to be wireless only now, probably to keep the cost down, and make it more waterproof.

If you decide to try one, then its best to set it up near the home hub to start with, to make sure the phone/PC connects, before moving it to your garage.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Many thanks.

I may have to call on your services again.

Meanwhile

Best Regards

BobH2

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Just to add, if you want to be able to view remote recordings, then you need an SD memory card inside the camera. Typically a 128Gb Class 10. They are about £13.

The cameras are not that difficult to setup via the app, provided you follow the instructions, and your phone is on the same wireless band.

Remember to change the default password on the camera, as on the earlier ones it was admin and admin 😞

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

If you want a reliable camera system, you will need wired cameras that use power over Ethernet (Poe) and an NVR to store and access your recordings. You’ll need to do some research but you’ll save money in the long run.

0 Ratings