Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FourQ
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Accessing full devices list - Home Hub 5

Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a way to access all of the devices that have been previously connected to the hub.

I can easily access the devices that are currently connected at any given time but that assumes you're able to connect. 

If you set static LAN IP's for each device, but one device died, how do you access its settings in the router? It's not connected, it's unable to connect, you don't want to ban it in access control, you don't want to forward a port to it, but you do want to reuse its IP address.

How do you go about auditing the router? Is there a superuser option? 

If the devices show in Access Control and Port Forwarding, they must be recorded somewhere. Can anyone tell me how to access them?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Accessing full devices list - Home Hub 5

Go to solution

They are recorded within the user.ini file, but there is no way to access it, and the only way to clear it is by a factory reset of the home hub, which sets this file to factory default.

Access by any other means was blocked from the home hub 2 onwards.The home hub 1 allowed access to the file when saved, but only the earlier firmware versions allowed full Telnet and CLI access.

I use such an early HH1 on ADSL, and its fully configurable, and the user.ini file can be edited and reloaded.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

The Home Hub does remember all devices that it has seen since it was last reset.  That's under the Advanced Settings, Home Network.  Mine is currently showing an Android tablet and a Linux laptop, even though both are switched off.  From within that section, it's possible to deleted old devices.

If the Hub is factory reset, it will wipe everything.

The Home Hub doesn't have a "superuser" login.  It's a basic home router for ordinary non-technical users.  BT don't want people fiddling with settings that they don't understand, because that just causes more work for their helpdesk.

0 Ratings
FourQ
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for replying guys. 

It's unfortunate it was dropped after HH1. A simple disclaimer stating proceeding will invalidate router warranty, kill the router, you get charged would have been nice. BT might not want people changing devices they don't understand, but if you do understand it you're stuffed.

I appreciate BT don't want every Tom, **bleep** and Harry screwing with the router, but device auditing wouldn't kill the firmware. It's a feature that would save calls logging faults because a pensioner doesn't understand what WPA is for. 

Besides, recently connected devices only show until the page refreshes itself. After that you're buggered.

Anyway, I've sussed it. It's embarrassing that I overlooked it to start with. 

In Advanced Settings | Home Network | Devices, javascript is called to access each device. Hovering shows "javascript:mimic_button('device: br0%2Fxy..', 1)". By saving it as a bookmark on the bookmark bar (for easy access) and replacing x and y with decimal numbers, you can access all of the devices by simple trial and error. Granted, with over 70 devices previously connected it could take a while, but I'm assuming they're in chronological order.

The .ini file may be accessible via javascript, but I'll leave it at that. Saving a bookmark, editing it, clicking it is simple enough for anyone. At least until BT add the basic feature.

gsl57
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I have not had any luck with this. I have copied it into the address bar, which produces an error, and failed to create a bookmark in eith Firefox or Edge. Any chance of a bit more detail ?

0 Ratings
FourQ
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Sure, I'll assume you're using a PC and you've found your way to Advanced Settings, Home Network, Devices. I'm using Chrome, but Firefox does the same job.

If you hover over any wired/wireless devices (not USB), you'll see a popup with the name, MAC address and IP. Drag it up to the bookmarks bar until you see the + sign to save it as a bookmark.

Once you've saved a bookmark, you can edit it. Change the 2 digits after br0%2F and before the ..', 1) e.g. javascript:mimic_button('device: br0%2F68..', 1) or javascript:mimic_button('device: br0%2F69..', 1)

Not every number will correspond to a valid device, so you might get some that won't work, but you should find the devices that has connected at some point.

As frustrating as it might be, the HH5 gives you greater access to router settings than the HH6. It also saves stronger passwords and underscores in device names, remembers your settings etc. I've put my Home Hub 6 back in its box!

gsl57
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Many thanks, FourQ. I had tried copy/paste but that omits the leading part of the URL, but drag and drop works fine.

0 Ratings
gsl57
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

FWIW, I tried every index position from 00-90, and found that 24 of them yielded blank.

The unit has decided to report the details of every disconnected device to the event log every 5 minutes, possibly this is since the last auto firmware update. However it has the advantage that I already have the details of every assigned IP address, and the index operation has confirmed them all.

Interestingly, in the range 192.168.1.65 to 192.168.1.145, 14 are unused, none of them indexed.

There are a few blocks of indexes which relate to contigous blocks of IPs, but mostly the order is not logical.

0 Ratings
FourQ
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Glad you got it sorted.

Oddly mine's chronological, but that may just be me sorting & updating IP's as each device got connected. 

0 Ratings