cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Accessing home network remotely - is it possible with the SH2?

Using my ASUS router, I can connect to my home network remotely via OpenVPN and access files on my Synology NAS in the same way I would at home, except that I have to specify the internal IP address of the NAS, rather than just "DiskStation" (I can use either when at home, but I tend to use DiskStation for documents because Microsoft Word keeps warning about security if I use the IP address). Is there any way to achieve the same feature using the SH2, or is it too basic for that? 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Accessing home network remotely - is it possible with the SH2?

You can access a file server on your home network remotely via port forwarding.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

@SixtiesFan 

I've an Asus modem/router and a Synology NAS and I use the Synology VPN service to connect via L2TP/IPSec and DS File.

Just need to forward ports 500,1701 & 4500.

Obviously I also need to use the Synology DDNS rather than the Asus one.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Interesting. I just accessed my DiskStation remotely via https on port 5001 and using the Synology DDNS. I was able to log in to the GUI on the DiskStation and view a  list of my shares, with an option to download files. I didn't try using the Synology VPN because I couldn't get that to work the last time I tried. Also,  with the ASUS setup, I don't have to download anything. I can view and work on my files via Windows explorer, just as if I am sitting at home, connected to my internal network's Wi-Fi, but I guess that's not possible with the Synology option. Not to worry anyway, because I'm not planning to stop using my ASUS router any time soon. I was just curious as to what options I would have if I had to use the SH2 for any reason (such as if my ASUS device developed a fault and needed to be taken out of service for a while).

0 Ratings