Fantastic, Keith. Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

Re: Accuracy of stats on third party routers

@Burmey wrote:

Fantastic, Keith. Thanks. 

It involves a little bit of work to start with. If you do not have a suitable spreadsheet, then the free OpenOffice suite of programs, has a very good spreadsheet, that is what I use.

The TP link pages, are html, so you can normally copy and paste them directly into a spreadsheet.

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 18

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@Burmeywrote:

Great explanation! Thanks 

The TP Link is doing my head in a bit though. It keeps duplicating entries on the connected devices and allocating the same names for two or three different IP addresses. I guess all the routers have their own particular irritating quirks!

Yes, you will get duplicate names if you have a device that has both wireless and LAN connectivity, as they present two different MAC addresses, although the IP addresses would be different.

Also its the device itself which determines the name, so if you have two identical devices, they will show the same name. Its the same on my TP Link W9970.

The way I dealt with it, is to open a spreadsheet, then copy and paste the contents of the DHCP table, that is a good starting point, bearing in mind that the IP addresses may change if they are not reserved.

IP adresses allocated by DHCP

I reserve all my IP addresses, as its easier that way, as shown here. This will be different on your router.

IP addresses reserved - very important if you want to use bandwidth controls

Then if any devices have the same name, you can amend the name on the spreadsheet to identify the device.

Its also useful to help identify any device which should not be connected to your network.

I keep a number of different worksheets. One is sorted in MAC address order, with the name of the device, followed by the MAC address, and whether its a wireless device, or Ethernet connected.

Another list shows devices that have their IP address reserved.

And one for the allowed wireless devices in the MAC filtering list.

Most of these entries can be copied from one sheet to another.

Once you get started, its quite easy, its just a case of highlighting the entries from the router, copy, then paste.

Thanks Keith - I'm trying to reserce DHCP on my AC1600 but I can't find anything as simple as it appears on your link - all I have is as shown on this photo. I think I need an idiots Guide as I'm not even sure where to find the MAC address. I get the IP address but I still can't figure out how to make the TPLink use the same one each time (yes, I do need to put access controls in place for the kids) - any additional help for my AC1600 would be much appreciated. I'm presuming I "bind" on my router? Do I have to go into each individual device to find the Mac addresses or is there an easier way of finding them. I must admit I thought it might be as simple as going into the IP address field and marking them as static or otherwise, but apparently not?. Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 12.19.24.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

The W9970  has a much simpler interface, and a user configurable firewall, not present on the AC1600.

I am not familier with the AC1600, but there may be some clues on the emulator.

https://www.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/VR600V2_Emulator_2017042601/index.htm

From the emulator. Client list and address reservation. You just have to wade through the pages.

archer1.jpg

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 18

Hmm...so not "binding" ? I started off by doing this and added them all successfully, but dismayed to see that I can only allocate 8 devices static DHCP on the AC1600. Disappointing.:smileyfrustrated:

Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 13.10.57.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 18

You look at the device in the clients list that you want to control, then reserve it by asdding it to the  address reservation list. Its IP address will not change when the DHCP lease expires.

It very similar to the 9970, it just has a fancy GUI, I suppose its expected by people, as they are paying more.

I did initially look at that router, but the lack of a user firewall, like I had on my old HH1, put me off.

You asked about Binding the MAC to the IP address its an additional protection, just in case the end user decides to manually alter their IP address on their device to circumvent any controls.

As the MAC address is bound to the IP address, if they change their IP address, they will lose Internet connectivity.

This also exists on the 9970.

Highlighted
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 18

This post and all the contributions has been so good for helping set up of the TP Link and probably many other routers. Thanks all. 

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

You look at the device in the clients list that you want to control, then reserve it by asdding it to the  address reservation list. Its IP address will not change when the DHCP lease expires.

It very similar to the 9970, it just has a fancy GUI, I suppose its expected by people, as they are paying more.

I did initially look at that router, but the lack of a user firewall, like I had on my old HH1, put me off.

You asked about Binding the MAC to the IP address its an additional protection, just in case the end user decides to manually alter their IP address on their device to circumvent any controls.

As the MAC address is bound to the IP address, if they change their IP address, they will lose Internet connectivity.

This also exists on the 9970.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 18

I am pleased you have it sorted. There are some differences between the two routers. It depends on what features people are looking for.

For the price the 9970 offers a lot, but the lack of 5G wifi may put people off. So the AC1600 would have to be a possible choice.

0 Ratings