Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
elisham
Message 1 of 8

Accurate BT IP geolocation

Hi folks

Last week Monday someone stole my laptop from the boot of my car. With only 50% backup  and the missus about to kill me as I hadn't backed up pictures of the kids I thought I must at least exhaust every option before giving up. when the peerson connected my laptop to the internet it registered his ip address that was show via my logmein account.  Geolocation is soo inaccurate it has come up on the BT network - revserse Dns lookup shows the follwing: host31-51-177-254.range31-51.btcentralplus.com.  

I've reported this, police are totally not interested, u get a crime number and send u on your way.  One lookup shows kent, the other north london, is there a way to at least pinpoint this to a street?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Accurate BT IP geolocation

The IP address comes from the POP (Point of Presence) connection point, which can be anywhere in the country, so its not possible to locate down to street level.

Lets hope you did not leave any personal info on the laptop, especially if its not password protected.

0 Ratings
elisham
Message 3 of 8

If Police were to see this at a serious matter i'm sure that they could contact the BT security department to get the relevant info. It's petty to them. It is password protected but as we all know it's not that difficult to access.  Yes there is a lot of personal info - got to at least try. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Have you tried to log into it using your Logmein accout?

You could then load Google Maps, which would then give you a fairly accurate location, depending on the local wireless networks.

0 Ratings
elisham
Message 5 of 8

It's showing offline since they plugged it in at 00:10 on the 18/11/14. would of installed software if it was still online.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

They were probably just seeing if it worked. Its probably been sold off to someone else by now, for some quick cash.

0 Ratings
het_uk
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

BT will have logged the DHCP lease to that person's router, so they should be able to track which user had that IP at the time.

0 Ratings
elisham
Message 8 of 8

As I thought.  Do you know what dept I could try and get the police to speak to - if they could be bothered

0 Ratings