Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
martin1954
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Acer One netbooks

Our 4 year old Acer One netbooks will only connect to the internet via BTwifi hotspot via inbult wifi board but will connect to our homehub 4 directly via an external wifi aerial which we use in our caravan when we find a loacal hotspot, have tried to find a driver on the internet to overcome this problem without success, anyone solved this problem, contacted Acer but they just sent the same driver that came installed.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Acer One netbooks

The wifi aerial you have sounds like it is a wireless dongle and aerial and your laptop is using that rather than the onboard wireless card.

It may be that if you can not get more up to date drivers for the laptop you should buy a wireless dongle and use that instead of the onboard card. You can get a wireless dongle for under £10. If you do use a dongle remember to turn off the onboard wireless. It is usually done by pressing Fn +F2 or some such combination of keys.

You could also try changing the security on the Homehub, it may be that the Acer can not use WPA and you need to change it to WEP.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10360/~/how-do-i-change-between-wep-and-wpa-on-the-bt...

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

@martin1954 wrote:

Our 4 year old Acer One netbooks will only connect to the internet via BTwifi hotspot via inbult wifi board but will connect to our homehub 4 directly via an external wifi aerial which we use in our caravan when we find a loacal hotspot, have tried to find a driver on the internet to overcome this problem without success, anyone solved this problem, contacted Acer but they just sent the same driver that came installed.

I have an Acer One with an Artheros AR5007EG network adapter. Driver has file version 7.6.0.260 dated 14/08/2008.

This works with HH4 A without any problems using WPA2.

Note that it will only work at 2.4 GHz. Make sure that your HH 4 has different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 Ghz and you are connecting to the correct SSID. 

0 Ratings
martin1954
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Our driver date is 20.05.2008 and is version 7.6.0.224 when I look for a later driver windows says i have the latest, where can I dowload the latest driver?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Find out what wireless card you have installed and go to the card manufacturers website. Windows drivers are often out of date.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

@martin1954 wrote:

Our driver date is 20.05.2008 and is version 7.6.0.224 when I look for a later driver windows says i have the latest, where can I dowload the latest driver?

If you check with the ACER website it says that your version is the latest version.  There are several places that claim to have a later version but before you try to download any of these it would be prudent to find out exactly why you cannot access the internet even although you appear to be connected to the HH 4.

Can you do the following checks please:

1.  Confirm that you have an Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter.

2.  Can you connect wirelessly to the HH4 manager on 192.168.1.254

3.  If you can connect,  go to the Home Network and check to see if the netbook is registered under the 2.4Ghz Wireless connections.

4. If it is double click the entry and check that the speed of connection is 54Mbps.

5. If all of the above is correct try connecting to www.google.co.uk using Internet Explorer and note how it fails.

6.If it fails type  173.194.34.183 in the address bar and see if that works or record how it fails.

7. What version of Windows are you using ?

Post back and we will see how we go from there.

0 Ratings
martin1954
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thank you for the suggestions, our netbooks worked fine wirelessly before we changed to a BTHome Hub, they connect to BTWifi via the hub hotspot but not directly, ran the BT diagnostics and it confrimed that there is a problem connecting to the internet via the buil-in Atheros card, bought a TP-Link dongle £9.99 from Argos tiny little thing and it connects to the internet directly with hub at 54Mbps max so no point spending hours looking for a fix.

Thanks anyway.

Recently bought a couple of quad core 7inch android tablets and they fly but they are not compatible with ITV player for android but run BBC iplayer weired.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Good to hear you got an easy fix.

0 Ratings