cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bakerc6815
Message 1 of 11

Activation - smart hub flashing purple ?

Go to solution
I was previously on Bt internet but then decided to go onto BT infinity with the smart hub (had the home hub 5 before that).
Everything was working fine with the internet and I was just waiting for the activiation date - which is today - in order to get faster internet.
Around 10am I got an email through saying my service had been updated but my smart hub had continues flashing purple since then and I’ve been unable to use any internet. I’ve tried restarting just to try it as I was getting rather frustrated in the end.
I contacted BT but haven’t really gotten anywhere with them and being told 2 different things.
Is it normal for the purple light to keep flashing up until it finally works or is something wrong ?
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Activation - smart hub flashing purple ?

Go to solution

it can take up to midnight for activation

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bakerc6815
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
Would me turning off the hub earlier today make any difference to how much longer it’s going to take ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

turning huib off wont make any difference just leave it connected and see if activated later

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
SammiMarie
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
I have had exactly the same issue....a week later and still no further forward!
0 Ratings
LogieBrownBear
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

0 Ratings
LogieBrownBear
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Same here! But we are on to the 11th day with no broadband!

Hub was flashing purple when we returned home at 10.30pm on Monday 6th August (was working fine when we left at 2.30pm), and is still the same!

Had Openreach engineer visit our property on Monday 14th. Told phone line was fine/no problems. Told it was a problem with our port in the green cabinet. Engineer couldn't resolve it. Nothing else done, so the engineer left.

2 seperate Openreach engineers visited yesterday morning. First one rechecked phoneline. Said it was perfect/clear. He went off to the green cabinet. 2nd enginner knocked at the door at 11.30 and said it still wasn't resolved. 'Should' be working when we are activated with Sky on 22nd/23rd August! 

Not happy that we have to wait with no broadband - we were told there was a fault with the port, but, because we had since decided to move to Sky, they can't do anything until the activation date as BT have basically cut our service. Had there not been a fault in the first place, we would have continued receving broadband from BT until the activation 'cut ins' with Sky!

Also, we have had lots of chats and phone calls with BT to get this resolved, but we are still without broadband. Very poor service from BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@LogieBrownBear

Sky still use Openreach, so the fault will still be there. All you have done is to delay the repair, you should have waited for Openreach to fix the fault while you were with BT Retail.

I suspect that you are now in for a long wait, but its not the fault of BT Retail, as they rely on Openreach to fix things.

0 Ratings
LogieBrownBear
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

We are still with BT (until 22nd August).

BT told us it was a hub fault - when we reported the flashing hub on Tuesday 7th - they sent us another one - which still flashed purple, so it was not a hub fault.

We did not know there was a fault (with the port) until the Openreach engineer told us on Monday (13th).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

It could have been a faulty hub, so that is the first thing BT, or any other ISP would do, replace the router, as that is the quickest option as faulty cheap mass produced ISP routers are quite common. Its not possible to diagnose any further using remote software tools.

If that fails to fix the problem, then it would be passed to Openreach to deal, if is connected to a fibre cabinet. If it was normal broadband, it would be investigated by the ISP on their equipment in the exchange.

Fibre faults in the cabinet are more complex, and are dealt with by a special team within Openreach, and subsequently take much longer to fix.

If you decide to cancel your move to Sky, and stay with BT Retail, then you should be able to get more help on this forum, otherwise you can post on the Sky user forum when you are their customer.

0 Ratings