cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Adding another Router to a FTTP Smart Hub 2 to add broadband to garden annex.

Go to solution

Hi community,

I'm in the process of building a granny annex in the garden and the family will need wifi and TV connectivity so tried to simply request additional BT TV boxes but apparently the max you can have on a single account is 2 (which I already use in the main house). So plan to run a cat6 cable from the SH2 to the lodge (approx 60m away from hub) and add another router to provide the wifi connectivity. Will move the BT TV boxes to the annex and I'll switch to Sky in the main house

Has anyone performed a similar activity and any suggestions/gotchas to be aware of please.

Has anyone been able to simply add more BT TV boxes to their main SH2 as I may have just been given incorrect info by the advisor ?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Adding another Router to a FTTP Smart Hub 2 to add broadband to garden annex.

Go to solution

You don't need another router, you just need a wireless access point with Ethernet ports connected to the Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Re: Adding another Router to a FTTP Smart Hub 2 to add broadband to garden annex.

Go to solution
Argh great any model suggestions
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa801n/

That is 2.4GHz only.

There is a dual band version, but I cannot remember the model number.

Edit: Its this one https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa1201/

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
Thanks I'll check them out, I'll need a model with additional ethernet ports for physical connection to old peripherals initially
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

The models @Keith_Beddoe  suggested don't have extra Ethernet ports. I would normally recommend TP Link products but they don't do a WAP with extra ports.

There is the Netgear WAX204 which does have extra Ethernet ports, £64 from Amazon.

Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

thanks all, great feedback I'll give this a go

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Just to add that with any of these devices that it's important that they support a feature known as IGMP Snooping otherwise all devices attached to it can be flooded with the BT TV transmissions which can severely impact things like gaming or general usability.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
As this is a BT forum, it seems only fair to recommend the relevant BT products for this.
You can either rent BT Complete Wifi:
https://www.bt.com/broadband/complete-wifi

Or purchase BT Whole Home Wifi:
https://shop.bt.com/brands/bt/whole-home-wi-fi

With these products, you'll get a guarantee that BT TV will work correctly.

Regarding the additional BT TV box - it depends what you want to watch on it. There's nothing to stop you buying additional YouView boxes and connecting them to the same account, however your BT TV subscription channels can only be active on 2 of them at once - you can move the subscription between the boxes as needed though. Freeview channels will be available without restriction.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi Tim,

Based on the updates from the other respondees my thinking is as follows:

1) Keep FTTP WAN input to the existing BT SH2

2) Connect a Cat6 (A end) to one of the SH1 GigE ports and run to the annex

3) Connect Cat6 (B end) to Netgear wax204 and configure WAP for wifi access in annex

4) Connect annex BT Main TV box to a Netgear GigE port.

5) Connect additional annex mini BT TV box to WAP wifi network.

In the main house I plan to switch to Sky Stream over the SH2 wifi network.

I "googled" the WAX204 and it appears to support IGMP (off by default)so what additional steps do I need to perform if I activate this in the annex please?

0 Ratings