cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Adding gaming router

Hi guys.

I've got me self a gaming router for ps5.

How's the best way to connect the gaming router to my tp link 9880 or smart hub 2. 

What is the better modem/router to connect gaming router to the tp link 9980 or hub?.

I've reading up online posts about putting a dmz on tp link or hub and putting the wan IP of the gaming router into that DMZ. 

And something about a bridge not sure what that is.

What's your thoughts?.

Thank you for your time

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Adding gaming router

I love the marketing boys with their 'gaming router' as if it is any different to any other router.

However, if it is just a router rather than a modem/router and you have FTTC, your best bet is to use a separate modem such as the Huawei HG 612 from eBay.

If you have FTTP, you can connect it directly to the ONT. If you have G.Fast, your modem options are very limited.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

@L3 

I'm pretty sure that if you succeed in connecting it to your TP-Link or SmartHub you'll gain nothing anyway as the router won't be handling your internet traffic.

If you do as @licquorice says then maybe you'll gain something but I wouldn't bank on it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

I got myself a nighthawk xr500 gaming router. Can I plug it straight back in tp link 9980 or SH2 and I'm good to go, or does the xr500 need to go into a DMZ on the tp or sh2 or a bridge mode whatever that is.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

You are totally wasting your time and money by connecting 2 routers together, but if you really must, don't use the SH2 as it doesn't have a bridge mode and you will be double natting. Use the 9980 and put it in bridge mode.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

What's difference between bridge mode over DMZ? I have fttc infinity 1.

I do have moderate nat on cod as before was open. 

Have I caused issues in linking the 2 together and wasted time and money.  I disabled the WiFi on the tp link as the smartphones and WiFi devices kept picking up both routers. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

In bridge mode the 9980 will be acting just as a modem, if you put the Netgear in the DMZ, the 9980 will still be routing and natting and you will therefore be double natting.

If you wanted a fancy router, you would have been better buying a combined modem/router rather than bodging 2 routers together.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

The tp link 9980 has bridge mode in wan and DMZ feature.
Didn't know to put a DMZ in tp link and connect the xr500 to it or do a bridge mode in tp link and connect xr500 to it. Thought I ask u guys as your good on here.
Think I could be getting double NAT now as cod saying moderate NAT.

Buying a fancy modem/router combo I wouldn't got the fancy features. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Put the TP Link in bridge mode.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Is there any difference between tp link to xr router, or sh2 to xr router and as advised a hg612 and xr router?.

Tp link doesn't have bridge mode only bridge wan.

I've got my xr connected to my tp link at mo and I've put the XR IP in my tp link in a dmz. 

Also I did a connection benchmark on xr router and ping underload  download was 110ms and up 85ms. Seems high

Thanks guys

0 Ratings