cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Advice for removing SH2 and using ASUS DSL-AC68U

Go to solution

I have BT fibre to my home and currently using SH2. However, I find the wifi signal very unreliable, even with 1, 2 or 3 discs trying in various locations (it is an L shaped property). I have had a tech visit from BT but the recommendation of using a single disc did not improve the wifi at all. Additionally, the disc that was placed in the recommended location keeps loosing connection to the SH2. I've turned it off now.

Is there a way for me to remove the SH2 completely and replace with my ASUS DSL-AC68U?

I have tried but whilst setting up the AC68U but I could not get past step 2 – connect phone line. Does the AC68U only work if there is a phone line connected to it?

I'd rather not run a cable around the house to connect the AC68U to a phone!

I am a novice so it is OK to assume I know nothing.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Advice for removing SH2 and using ASUS DSL-AC68U

Go to solution

If you have fibre to the home, you don't need the DSL version of the Asus, just the RT version. If the device you have has a WAN port, you need to connect it to the ONT instead of the SH2. I'm not familiar with Asus devices, you might have to configure it so that it expects a connection on the wan port rather than the DSL port. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

I did wonder if it would be something like your response.

Is there a way I could use the DSL-AC68U as a wifi extended hard wired into my SH2?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

I suspect there is an option somewhere to configure one of the LAN ports as a WAN if you want to use it as a direct replacement.

If you just want to use it as a WiFi access point, give it an IP address of 192.168.1.20, Gateway 192.168.1.254, turn off DHCP and connect it LAN port to LAN port to the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Great, thanks for speedy response.

I'll mark thread as accepted reply

Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@AKSV 

I believe it's possible to use the Asus directly connected to the ONT and totally remove the SH2.

You have to enable Dual Wan and then select Primary WAN as ethernet and connect to the ONT via a specified ethernet port.

This link discusses it so might help.

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Tim, thank for the follow up. I tried all the recommended settings in both your message and the link. Unfortunately, even though I could connect to the AC68 there was no internet.

Happy to try a few other settings but am seriously looking into splashing out for a Unifi Dream Machine

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@AKSV 

I've a separate HG612 modem which I might  connect over the weekend and try using my Asus in dual WAN mode & see what happens. Useful for me if I ever got the chance of Fibre to the Home.