cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Advice needed re 3rd party router/modem please

Go to solution

Hello,

First time on the forum, I'm a BT Halo 2 customer, Full Fibre to House (it's a new build house). Happy with download speeds, but not with lagging and performance, have tried multiple Smart Hub 2's. Thinking of getting new modem/router. Can anyone please suggest some that they know are compatible and work well with this type of broadband. Do I need to get both a router and modem to replace the Smart Hub 2? Any advice would be great, thank you very much.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Advice needed re 3rd party router/modem please

Go to solution

@sb2000 

Welcome to this user forum.

You would only need a wireless router not a modem/router. You cannot replace the optical modem anyway.

One suggestion would be the TP Link Archer C7.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c7/

If you have BT TV, then the TP Link wireless routers work fine.

I am sure you will get other suggestions.

Bear in mind if you have BT Digital Voice, then only the Smart Hub 2 can be used.

Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Thank you, sorry if I am been a noob here, but what is the optical modem, is that the Smarthub 2?, under my stairs I do have another box, but I think that is for a backup power supply to it? If I got your recommendation, would I plug the cable into the property straight into it and not use the Smarthub 2? thanks very much. Would the wireless booster disk I have upstairs still work? We have a BT box for tv but do not use it, we have a phone line, but don't use that either, not heard of digital voice, but don't think we would need that. Gaming and performance is my priority to Xbox and tablet and laptop and Sky box and Internet TV. Thanks very much.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

The optical modem is where the optical fibre terminates.

It would have a number of lights lit up on it.

The latest ones look like this.

Capture.JPG

But you may have an older installation which looks similar to this.

fttp.jpg

Is that what you have installed?

The extra disk will only work with the Smart Hub 2.

Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

I have the 2nd image, thanks for that. So I can get any TP Wireless router and just connect it to that image? And not use the BT HUB 2? Does it need to mention fibre in the title? Any further recommendations from a gaming point of view and any recommended wireless extenders? Thanks so much for this.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

You can use any wireless router if you do not have BT TV. There are other makes, like Netgear and ASUS. 

You do not need anything with a modem built in, they are called VDSL/ADSL routers.

You would need to connect it to the LAN1 port on the optical modem, the same place as the smart hub was connected to.

You will need to enter the correct login details.

Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password BT

I would not use any form of wireless connection for gaming, as it will introduce too much delay. A direct Ethernet cable is best. If that is not possible, then broadband extenders are another option. They use the mains wiring to provide a link.

https://shop.bt.com/category/networking,network-devices,powerline-adapters/11301-59150000

In a new build property, you should already have Ethernet sockets fitted in each room, and also by the modem. That would be the best way to connect.

If you have been using the extra disc to connect to your gaming PC, then that would also suffer from delay, as that relies on wireless.

If you can use Ethernet, then you may find that the smart hub 2 is fine, without spending any more money.

Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

You just need a router with a WAN port (virtually all will have) rather than a combined modem/router as you don't need the modem functionality. It will completely replace the BT hub. The  Asus RT-AX88U is also popular but a bit pricey.

Message 8 of 18

Go to solution
Great thanks for all of your help.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Great thanks for this, will any wireless extender work with the suggested router? As long as it's the same brand? Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

@sb2000 wrote:

Great thanks for this, will any wireless extender work with the suggested router? As long as it's the same brand? Many thanks.

I would avoid wireless extenders as they perform rather badly as they have to repeat an existing signal.

Hotspot devices are better as they generate their own wireless network.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html