cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Advice on replacing old BT Home Hub

Hoping that some of you more knowledgeable people can help me - I'm looking to replace our very old Home Hub 3A with a newer device. We're having a lot of issues with it randomly blocking all wireless access to the Internet & think it is time to finally upgrade.

I would like to replace it with a non-BT router, but not being an expert in networking set ups would appreciate some advice on what I should be looking at.

We are currently on the BT Halo 1 package, the heaviest usage of the internet is an Xbox One X followed by my works laptop which i use every day via a VPN link. Both of these devices are connected via LAN cable.

Any advice on the best non-BT product to consider would be greatly appreciated.

Thahks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Advice on replacing old BT Home Hub

With Halo 1, shouldn't BT provide you a Smart Hub or Smart Hub 2?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Halo 1 does not come with a new hub whereas Halo 2 does come with a SH2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

If OP calls or chats to BT they will likely send him a new Hub for free, they nearly always do.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Thanks, but i was hoping for some advice on a non-BT product to use ? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

@Osirian08 

This one is very popular, and works with all BT services. They will not work if you have an ultrafast (G.Fast) connection.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr400/v2/

If you only want 2.4GHz then there is a cheaper option.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks - excuse my ignorance but would this replace just the Hub 3A we currently have, or replace both this & the white openreach modem ?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

replaces hub and modem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 9

Modem performance might be better on the Openreach modem depending on the cabinet you're connected to but I would give it a try first and if it's rubbish you can return it and buy a cable router and plug that directly into the Openreach modem.

0 Ratings